Bo-Se question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Annette Buse, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca
    Hello, I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.
    Is BoSe clear or an amberish color? The reason I ask is because, I could of sworn that when the vet was out and gave my 3 does a Bose shot a month before they were due, it looked like the contents in the syringes were amber colored.
    The vet sold me the rest of the bottle of BoSe so I would have on had to give the kids at 3 month intervals.
    So the problem is I loaded up my syringes with 1/2 cc of the BoSe and it is completely clear. I just wanted to clarify if I was wrong and it is clear or if maybe something happened to it because is is supposed to be an amber color clear. I don’t want to give something that is maybe not right.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Nope it’s clear! Maybe the vet had it in his hand and it looked like a amber color because of his hand??? But it’s clear and when it’s no good any more it turns into a hazy almost blue tint to it.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Do you mean giving kids BoSe every 3 months? BoSe is given once or twice annually in deficient areas...new borns get 1/4 cc at best and normal dose is 1 cc per 40 pounds Sub Q.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca

6. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca
    Thank you very much, I wasn’t 100% sure. I’ll feel better giving it now.

7. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca

8. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca
    Actually you are correct. I typed that in wrong it is 1/4 cc of BoSe.
    And yes every 90 days until 1 yr old then 3/4 to 1 cc twice a yr.
    I am fortunate to have one of the best goat vets around. Her practice is limited to cows, sheep, goats and alpacas. She has been vet for about 28 years and doesn’t even take on new clients. I was very lucky as I am a new goat owner and she took me on only because of a good friend of mine used to have goats and she is a friend of hers. She hooked me up.
    I have 100% faith in what she tells me. Also she has a herd of Alpines herself. Thanks for watching out for us though.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    It's a blessing to have a vet you have such faith in. I would be interested in knowing her reason for giving selenium so often. Not being argumentative, just curious. I have read some folks give a shot of BoSe if an animal is sick or compromised in some way, said to help boost immune system. My fear is a build up of selenium can cause anywhere from un steady gait to rapid pulse to sudden death. Animals also get selenium from plant based foods, minerals and feed product. Even though many of these sources are minimal amounts, and 1/4 cc BoSe is not a huge mount, It can all add up.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Would it be possible that the vet also gave a vitamin B complex shot? That can be amber colored. I envy you that you have a goat vet. Those are rare.

12. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca
    Well Dr Skillmen says that we are extremely deficient in our area. She said this protocol has worked great for her herd and many of her clients.
    I do remember the first time she came out she was very interested and wanted to see what I feed. Other then that I really don’t know but just take her advice.
    My friend when she had her goats she did the same thing and was many many years ago.

13. Annette Buse

Annette Buse New Member

May 23, 2020
    Elverta Ca
    No, they didn’t get any b shots just the BoSe and CDT. I’m must of just for some thought I saw that. As mentioned above it was probably in her hand and it just looked to be amber color.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Some places are much more deficient than others. Great you have a knowledgeable goat vet who understands mineral and vitamin needs in your specific area.

15. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    You are very fortunate to have a goat vet. My (BOSE’) Selium is clear and I never give it but once a year, (twice in some cases) and new borns, if needed ( 2-3 times in 6 years only) and only 1/8 to 1/4 ml sub q only one time. I have had to use MUSE’ one time because BOSE was backordered for so long. MUSE is very dangerous as it is 5 times stronger than BOSE. Only takes a few drops of it for a newborn sub q.

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Definately do as your Goat Vet says! They are there...they have the education and most important..they have hands on. Thankyou for sharing all your info!