The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing not but I could be wrong.... Does anyone on this forum milk boer goats? Just curious, because I can get a heck of a deal on some kids, and the guy was saying that they milk 2 of them (the moms) and get about a gallon a day... I guess I just always thought boars were meat breed, but I just thought I'd ask... They sure are cute:) Really what goat kid isn't:)

·
14,615 Posts
Yep you sure can, but as Karen said you wont have the length of lactation as you would with dairy. And teats arent usually near ideal but it can be done.
Know that if she is 2:2 the same amount of milk is in that side.;)

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
I agree you can milk a boer!

:D

·
1,524 Posts
I used to have a mixed herd of Nigerian dwarfs, Full sized dairy goats and Boers, and some % dairy/Boers. I milked them all. My Boers milked as long as the dairy girls did, just not quite as much production. I treated them (fed and milked) like I would the dairy goats and they responded in kind. I culled for Boers who had more than 2 teats and who had low milk production. My Boer and Boer cross kids grew huge and fast because of it, way better than the lower producing or multi-teated does kids did.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, interesting. Since I already have dairy goats, even if they stayed in lactation for a just a couple months, I could stagger breeding (which I'm already planning to do so I have milk year round. They have a boer buckling for sale too, hmmmm, but I think 3 bucks would be a bit much.. I already have 2.

Well, I think I'll go look at them then. They said the mom was tested for diseases before they were born. So hopefully they will have paperwork to back that up... Now I'm curious, if I bred them to my kinder buck, would that produce a good meat goat? I might look that up to see if it has been done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts