Boarding Mini Goat Questions - Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Brent Jorgensen, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Brent Jorgensen

Brent Jorgensen New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hi everyone, I found this awesome page through a Google search and I'm excited to learn about Goats!

My wife and I finally found 10 acres of land we can build our home on and start building the animal sanctuary we have wanted to have for many years now. Someone has already come up to us and asked us about Boarding their 10-15 mini goats on our property that happens to have a barn and pasture area already set up. They are here on a temporary job assignment and want to bring their mini goats with them until the job is done and they can go back home. Here's the deal, I know absolutely nothing about Goats, I mean nothing! I do know how to operate a business but I do not know how to come up with prices for boarding. They have stated that they will take care of the feeding and care of the Goats on a daily basis as they are very therapeutic for them. The contract will have to be very detailed in the specifics of what is responsible from each party.

Any insight, experiences, fails and success stories are welcome!

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So it sounds like they are just using your property? Is there electric and water? Do you have to pay for the electric and water? Do you have farm insurance?

Brent Jorgensen and MadHouse like this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Don't let any animal on your property without having EACH goat tested for CL and Johnes. These diseases can live in the soil for YEARS and you don't want to have a problem. Make sure it's current testing and that they physically show you the paperwork for EACH goat. IMO - boarding is a nightmare. What if they don't care for them properly - etc. I wouldn't.

Brent Jorgensen, Sfgwife and Jubillee like this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    People that have animals boarded start out with good intentions, then life may get in the way. Car breaks down, they are tired, etc. suddenly they can't get over to feed or water etc. can you do it just ONE time, then 2, then they figure you are there you might as well just take care of them. Suddenly you have a lot of time and money invested, now what? Court cases take time and money.
    This is Worse case scenario. I agree about the diseases.

Not trying to disuade you, but goats are a steep learning curve. If you want goats for you, take the time to learn about them. They are sweet, frustrating, aggrivating and wonderful.

My thoughts, just because you have the space and barn does not mean it needs filled with others animals. Fill it with your animals, a few at a time. Something you enjoy and have time to research and learn.

Then you would need insurance if you house others critters.

If it were me, I would say that you just are not ready for any animals, that you were sorry, they would have to find other accommodations.

5. I'd have a contract that dictated the costs (add in electric and water) and that they have to care for their animals and if any die, it is NOT your responsibility. It would have to be a pretty detailed contract, specifying if they did die removal of animal has to happen in X amount of time, when they're allowed on property etc.

If you've never owned goats, and you would be responsible for them, I wouldn't do it.

I've had them a long while and know their idiosyncrasies and what can happen and what to do. However, I have a couple come to get bred here and stay a month until bred...I'm ALWAYS anxious about those animals so as nothing happens to them in my care. Same as when we leased our buck. When those animals leave, I relax more. Things still happen within my own herd but if there is a loss, it's on me and it's my own animal. I would hate something to happen to someone else's animals.

Brent Jorgensen, Sfgwife and MadHouse like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All really good advice.

Brent Jorgensen likes this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree. Goats are wonderful beast but not for the faint of heart. With you never owning goats I would not take on someone else's. For all the reasons stated above.

Beat wishes

8. linda bingham

linda bingham New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    fairfield, ia
    These are all fantastic thoughts but for 20 goats what would you charge if you provide food take care of them and all the cost involved and insurance. What is the charge per month.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Everyone here is saying not to do it. Too much can happen and things can get really dumb really quickly. The risk is not worth it.

10. linda bingham

linda bingham New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    fairfield, ia
    My friend is ill and we are trying to help. Looking for thoughts and pricing from those who are in the goat world.

11. ksalvagno

When I boarded, I charged $3 per day per goat. But you have to figure in all expenses including your time. And I mean every little expense. How will any vet bills be paid?

12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Are any of these breeding animals, intact bucks etc? You would have to separate, provide kidding areas, etc. Cost include: any additional pens and fencing, feed, hay , bedding, minerals, vaccinations, hoof trimming, labor, electric, water, she must have an open account for a vet for any and all medications. If she is ill, I'm not sure how she would be able to care for them. I think the cost for that many may exceed what she could afford. I would think you might break even at around $100 per head per month. She may need to rethink having a large herd at this point. And testing is a must - you can infect the animals you want to get in the future - which would be heartbreaking.

13. Brent Jorgensen

Brent Jorgensen New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Wow, thank you everyone! I haven't been able to get back to this thread until today. So much useful and insightful information, it is greatly appreciated.

If we were to board goats, which given all of this feedback I will not at this time, we will have a very detailed contract agreement. Very detailed. It's also very true that just because we have space doesn't mean we need to fill it with other people's animals. We have plans of our own and we want to help when and where we can but be responsible and careful about it. My expertise is with dogs/rescues and running businesses, not goats. Maybe after a few years of getting our property fixed up and built the way we want it we can come back to the idea of boarding goats and other animals besides dogs and cats.

Thank you again for everyone's insight and advice, if we ever adopt/rescue a goat or two so we can save lives and learn at the same time I'll probably be back asking more questions.

happybleats and ksalvagno like this.
  14. ksalvagno

Learning with a couple goats when you are ready is a great idea. Good luck with your new property!

happybleats and Brent Jorgensen like this.
  15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm sorry your friend is ill. Could you enlist the help of some college or highscool students? They can always use a little extra cash.. Maybe her vet can recommend someone who can come once a day to help care for the goats? Keeping the goats home is always a better option if possible. Other wise her vet may have ideas of boarding options. Best wishes