Boarding our goat for 5 days during a vacation. Houston Area

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Aaron Novak, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Aaron Novak

Aaron Novak New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Katy, TX
    Hello we will be going on a vacation that was planned and paid for before getting our goat, and we are trying to find somewhere to board him for 5 days. Would anyone have any advice? Thank you.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have someone stay in your home and take care of the animals.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, do you have a good friend or family member you can teach how to care for your goats, while you are gone?
    That is the best way so the goats don't get too stressed being somewhere new.

I see a lot of dog babysitter places, but not for livestock in your area.
    Maybe call one of them and see if they know of someone.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Again, goats are not dogs. They do not do well under the stress of moving, it can cause a lot of issues.

Goats also shouldn't be alone, they are social creatures and can get depressed easily. If you have made the decision to keep 1 goat alone in your house, note that YOU are now the goat's partner and the goat is bonded to YOU. Leaving this goat alone can cause serious depression and stress. Due to this, it's even worse to force a move along with that unless you can find someone who has other goats (but be careful, as he may soon start to realizing that goat company is more fulfilling than human company). I would find someone in your family that he knows and likes if you really must go. After vacation, look into getting him a buddy.

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I really do hope you are considering getting him a friend and letting him be a goat. Realize that he will get HUGE - and while doable when they are little, goats are really not meant to be kept in the house - especially a boer that can top out to over 200# , with horns. I know you dearly love him, but goats are happiest outside where they can roam, play, and do goatie behaviors. I sincerely don't know how in the world people do it in the house with exercise needed, loose minerals, hay, hoof trimming etc... let alone the poo.....

6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I agree your sweet boy needs a non human buddy. All 24 of my goats are house broken and visit inside all the time but they are really happier being goats and being with friends that play like they do. I love the fact that they can come in for treats or TV time but it's easier for them and me that they can go back out.
    I'd call the local 4-H or FFA office to see if they have someone who needs some extra spending money or just loves goats and would be interested in babysitting.... just a thought.

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    When I take a vacation..I am usually out of the USA. So I have to really trust this person whom.stays at my home and with all my babies. I have a Neice whom loves my goats, but she is unable to afford to live in the country. I'm fortunate , she comes and spends all her time with my herd. I leave my vet with my credit card info,and my nieces name & info
    I also do this at my feed store.and I call my friends that have goats so they can come help in case of emergency. I have a Goat call list...Even with all this..and her.being here for the last 5 years...if I go...I call every day..just cause I need to know all are well.