Body temps to low?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Jan 26, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not one to panick over little things and I am not really worried now.

But I thought it might be good to see what you all think about the fact that Jasper and Mia's temperatures are 100.7 & 100.3 respectively.

I tried to get Destiny's temp but she ran off and I couldn't catch her (same with Flicka and Aspen) I didn't try Misty or Sweet Pea.

The temps here are rather cold but not as cold as they have been 30*F

The reason I checked their temperatures is because usually when I go out to feed (it is later usually too) they all greet me and can't wait for me to give them their hay. well tonight they were all just standing outside looking comfy and when I was putting out hay and they didn't run up and push and shove and trip me I got worried.

Maybe it is because I fed them at 11:00am this morning and it was only 8:00pm tonight. Who knows. Anyway they all eventually got moving and started to eat all but Jasper, who wouldn't leave my side. He did eventually dig in so I am not as worried as I first was (he normally is a PIG and pushes and shoves and causes quite a rucus when he wants his hay)

Ok enough rambling.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    They are probably fine just watch them.This morning here it felt like -15 degrees F.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm, those are two red flags for me. I think I would be taking temps again, watching to see that everyone is chewing cud and watch them real close. I might even be putting my hand on the rumen and checking for normal rumen movement. But I am not a wait and see kinda person. I hope all is well and they are trampling you in the morning.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so you think I should run out again and check temps and such? I think I will it has been almost 3 hours

Last time I checked temps on I think it was Mia or Aspen her temp was 101.4 or something like that so these new temps were a flag.

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Better safe than sorry, I always say. Well worth the time to make sure all is well.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok checked everyone

Mia 100.7
    Jasper 101.9
    Destiny 100.5
    Sweet Pea 101.5
    Misty 101.0
    Flicka 102.3
    Aspen - couldn't catch her - but she was chewing cud and acting quite hyper.

So Mia and Destiny are the only ones who have the lower temps and Mia's rose .2

I will check Destiny and Mia's especially in the morning

Mia was chewing her cud and I saw various goats doing the same or hurd rumen sounds

Mia had a slight wet nose, nothing major but I will keep an eye on it and bring out some nutri drench in the morning
    Misty also had a slight wet nose, she will also get nutri drench in the morning

how much do you usually give an adult pygmy doe? I usually give 3-6 ccs is this enough?

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I do not use nutri drench so I do not know. Good to hear they are chewing cud. I would recheck everyone in the morning. I just do not like seeing temps in the 100's. Well I am going to bed now.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah me neither, well thanks for your input I will just give it as I usually do and see how things go after that.

I know they aren't in the danger zone but they are not in the all clear either.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would give 2 squirts if it is the pump kind. if not then I would say atleast 6 cc's to each goat.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I have the pump I believe 2 pumps is 4ccs

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This morning Destiny was 100.3 and Mia was 100.5

I was running late and my dad came out and what like - "what are you doing?" lol

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Stacey those temps are still too low for my liking. Have you put your hand on the rumen and counted how many churns per minute? Low temps are usually rumen related. Here is a good article about body temps. Read down to where it talks about normal temps and what ow temp could mean.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... lness.html

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I see them chewing cud and they gobble their feed down.

I have to cut a friends hair and then I will bundle up and check their temps again and really check for rumen function.

What do I do for the low temps really?

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I read the artical - good one but there was no advise given for how to treat. So that isn't very helpful. :S

I have CD Antitoxin should I give some of that orally? to get the good bacteria in their rumen?

I am also going to give some fastrack.

I forgot to mention I gave Mia and Misty the Nutir drench like I said I was going to.

Ok she is here got to go but i should have new temps and such for you in about an hour

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Could this be a dehydration issue? Maybe some warm water would encourage more rumen action? Only thought pulled out of my hat- unless the got some bad feed or a change in feed, it just seems so unlikely to be entero with so many effected.

PS I checked another site and it said that acidosis is the most common cause of slowing of the rumen. Maybe some baking soda?

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Treatment with antitoxin is usally 20cc po and 20cc sq. I am just so confused by the low temp and no other symptoms. How did they eat their food this morning?

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Neither of your girls are pregnanat or milking are they?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    both are pregnant and on day 51

They ate their food with gusto this morning.

Teresa what is po?

Yes I give them warm water morning and evening. Do you think I should have someone provide it mid day as well?

Ok going out to check on them now - will give a report when back.

thanks for the suggestions

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That's really early to have a calcium issue but a lack of calcium can cause slow metabolism too.
    With the only real syumptom being a low temp, it could be almost anything.
    Well I hope it's one of those mysteries that disappears and no one knows why it ever occured.
    With warm water twice a day, I can't think that they need more of that anyway.

20. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I thought about the calcium problem too but it just seems too early for that but who knows.

PO is per orally.

What do the girls get in the way of calcium? I think you do grass alfalfa mix hay and grain so that would be more phosphorus than calcium right?