The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running my buck with my does pretty much year round,I seperate the does for kidding.i know boers are year round breeders but my girls only come in to heat in the fall,my buck is known from the friend of mine that he came from that he will breed year round so I'm pretty sure it's not him.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So what I was wondering if my buck was penned separate and then put in with the does when I wanted to breed,even this time of year is there a better chance the girls would come in to heat?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have heard that keeping them separated until you are ready to breed will make the does come into heat. I do know there are a lot of people who breed their Boers now to kid in the fall and do it successfully. We keep our buck separated until it is time to breed and then we put him out with the girls at the end of July and usually end up with babies at the end of December. So he is breeding them very quickly. It will be interesting to see other people's experience with this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I breed in jan for jun July babies. I introduce buck to my girls and it makes them cycle. It is called the buck effect. I have% boers and use a 100% boer buck I have had no problems at all

·
1,524 Posts
When I had Boers along with my dairy girls, the Boers were breeding year round. The buck had a pen next to the does, so they were always in contact with him, nose to nose. The Boers coming in heat year round got my dairy does doing the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts