Boer Buck and Kinder Doeling

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Adam Spires, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    So I have a 1 y/o boer buck, Duke, and a 10 month old (at the time 8 month old) Kinder Doeling, Jazmine. Duke weighs 130 lbs and Jazmine weighs 115 lbs ,but anyway they bred in August and she's been confirmed pregnant (she started making her bag a few days ago) So my question is, will the kid(s) be too big for her to pass? (Anyway advice or input is welcome)

2. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Mother nature is very good at preventing over sized kids. most likely your worry should be will the kid be strong enough to survive once born.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Always be prepared in case she needs a C-section.
    It depends on her pelvic size, if it is big enough for delivery.

Sometimes things go OK, but just in case.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Good to see somebody else on the forum with a kinder. I myself have four. I have a does who is around 115 and I have a kinder buck who's probably close to 130. I think that sounds like not too big a size difference. Boers are different than kinders though. I wouldn't worry about it terribly, but certainly be prepared just incase. Is this your doe's first time kidding? If it isn't it's even less likely to be a problem.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  5. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    She's a very wide doeling and I was very confident about my decision on breeding her. I was just curious with the weight between the two (buck and doe) is too large (the buck weighs 130 and doeling weighs 115)

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    It is her first time kidding but she's VERY wide so I wasn't worried about it (also the part is 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Kinder, idk if that's a factor) do you think I should just watch her diet really closely during the pregnancy?

MellonFriend likes this.
  7. MellonFriend

I actually will be having my first kidding next year so I am probably not the best person to be giving advice on that front. I just figured I'd chime in since I know what kinders are like. In my completely non expert advice, I think it would depend on her current body condition.

Adam Spires likes this.
  8. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    You really cannot compare weights between bucks and does, since adult weight has no correlation to birth weights (except in regards to mini vs standard breeds).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    goatblessings likes this.
  9. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    They are both standard breeds so I guess I'll be fine. Thank you!

MellonFriend likes this.
  10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with County Line Acres. I will say this, if your buck is a fullblood and 1 year old, then 130lbs really sounds small (no offense). If he is mix bred, light boned, or under muscled, then that could play a factor. We've bred 130-150lbs does to 300lb. bucks with no issue with kidding. The biggest issue is the doe being able to handle the bucks weight at breeding and no big difference in kids from our 150-200+lb. does. We have a small herd, and have to depend on grain and hay late in the year as we have a small place. Grain tends to be the thing that can get you in trouble. High protein grain can = big babies.

11. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    He's very muscular and I know he isn't a fullblood Boer but idk what else is in there. He's a little guy(lol) he's very strong boned so I bet he isn't a fullblood Boer for sure. So do you think my doeling will be good to have his kids?

12. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Has he ever had kids before? The only way to really know is if there’s a pattern with the birth weights he’s thrown.

13. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    No, he bred his first three does in August (including this doeling).

HoosierShadow likes this.
  14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Sounds good. It's hard to say because we can't see your doe. Big part is trying to balance out nutrition so she's getting enough but not too much. Over feeding grain especially can cause big kids.
    I'm sure she'll do fine.

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    Thank you so much for your kind words! Let me try to find a picture of her and you can take a look!

16. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    That's her back end tonight. The picture makes her look smaller but I PROMISE you she's much bigger in person :) (also it was raining and she got a little wet)

Attached Files:

MellonFriend likes this.
  17. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You really just have to make sure you are present for the kidding. Since you are unsure of the breeds of both the doe and buck - it's hard to tell what will come forward in genetics - and you don't have kids from him prior to this year. so, mark your calendar, be prepared to sit, watch, wait, have your kidding kit ready and speed dial for your vet.

18. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also - as an FYI - standard breed usually means full size goats, not pygmy (which is part of the kinder) , nigerian dwarf etc. ;)

19. MellonFriend

Yeah, I think kinders are a mid-sized goat. :)

20. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Kinders are a cross between a nubian and a pygmy. Really just depends. Kids from the same freshening can mature at different sizes.