boer buck, nubian doe

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by billmac, Feb 18, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I have this question in the general forum but I thought I'd ask here also.

I will be getting nubian and boer kids. What are the thoughts about breeding a nubian doe to a boer buck, both born this spring?

Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you wait ..until they are ..1 year to 1.5 year old and the does are of good size ...
    It should be alright....any FF 'ers.. will need to be watched for dilation....if they don't ...you will have to help dilate her when she kids. Dilation problems.. can happen to any breed of goat at any age.
    I personally have bred nubian does to a big boer buck ,a long time ago ..when I did have nubian/boer..... I never had any big problems, except... dilation probs in one, I helped her and she was fine. :greengrin: I liked the mix ...you get the best of both worlds,meat and milk, and they did grow faster.... :wink:

3. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Pam,

Did you actually milk your boer/nubian crosses? I've heard boer milk is terrific but of course they don't lactate as long as the dairy breeds.

I hate to wait a whole year to have them bred. I'm anxious to get some milk flowing.

4. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    As long as the doe is of a good size you can breed as early as 8 months. I have a half Nubian doe that I bred at 10 months and she didn't have any problems.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No...I never milked them for drinking...so I can't answer that one.

I know a year or almost a year is a long time....but you have to be patient..you really shouldn't breed them to young...

If you want milk now... I would recommend buying "all ready milker goat or goats"...so you can get started sooner.. but don't buy an old doe...make sure.. she is a young FF or just a few years old...so you can have quite a few years milking .... :wink: