The Goat Spot Forum banner

Boer Buck Semen Collection...

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Crossroads Boers 
They actually do make an electroejaculator for sheep that can be used in goats, but I think you get better results when the buck jumps a doe and they us an AV. Sounds like your poor girls got used and abused :( I've been to a collection at a buck show several times and that guy (Cam Faircloth of Mega Bucks) never had the bucks jump that many times. Usually just 1 or 2 jumps was enough to get what he needed for the straws. He also took his time so the does had a chance to wait in between. He usually brings a few does himself and then other people that are collecting will bring does so they don't get over-jumped. Some of those Boers are pretty big too, even for a mature doe.

The feed would make sense since Boers are usually fed differently than dairy bucks. I do know selenium is supposed to help boost fertility so maybe people need to start giving their bucks a shot of selenium about 6 weeks before the collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.