The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got her a couple days ago from a friend. They are getting out of goats and sheep. The only two goats they had (not left, they are the only two they've had) were her, and her wether friend. The wether we gave to my neighbor for his son. He'll have a spanish buck as a buddy here soon. (We'll be breeding her to his spanish buck. He's solid black with blue eyes :) )

Anyways, pics!! What do you think about her? I like her length and top line, but she definitely needs more width. Overall she doesn't look too bad I don't think. She is about 8 months old.

She's still pretty shy. She didn't really get any people time at her old house besides being fed and stuff. But I am out there with them at least 3 times a day and she is warming up (to me) really fast! The other does are being SUPER SUPER mean to her, so at night I have to lock her up in a kennel so they don't kill her!

Anyways, here's some pics :) :D

In the picture where it's her side view, it makes her body look short. She has more length than that. I didn't want to set her up right now since she's still shy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here teats are 1x1 btw. Also, I have heard about pigmentation, what does that mean, and how do you tell what % it is?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine suggested Lady Annabelle :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ginger is a nice one too! :)

·
14,615 Posts
Oh you can see in her eyes how she's already warming up to you. Very pretty too!
Pigmentation is the amount of dark color on head & ears & on the tail & anus.
If I remember right it should be at least 75% for show.
On some it's almost black & others darkish brown.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
First name that popped into my head was Priscilla, but I like Ginger too. :) she's cute, I like her color.

Amber
Dandelion
Daisy
Darlin'

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her tail is spotted. I'm would like to show her at the fair. I can get a pic when I'm home.

I think we're going to name her Annabelle and Annie for short :)
What do you guys think about her? I know she is very narrow, especially comparing her to your does, Crossroads (sorry forgot your name :p ) but overall I *think* she looks pretty good? I am already wanting to get another Boer doe next spring! :p

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I don't know much about meat goat conformation, but she looks pretty nice to me. :) I guess maybe she could be a little more uphill, but again I'm not sure if that's as much of a requirement for meat goats. Looks well put together to me. :)

·
14,615 Posts
Some judges make exception to the pigmentation rule on the younger does as it darkens with age.
How old is she?
I like "Annie" too.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some judges make exception to the pigmentation rule on the younger does as it darkens with age.
How old is she?
I like "Annie" too.
Judging be her teeth, 8 months. Not sure what % she is. If she has more dairy in her that could be her lack of size. She's on free choice alfalfa right now, and I am giving her some 8% grain once a day. Probably 1 pound. I could bump it up, or get a higher protein feed.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure what she was eating at her old home.

·
14,615 Posts
Ha! I guessed right.:D
%'s have lesser tail pigment rule.;)
Since she gets alfalfa I wouldn't push her too much if you up her grain.
Usually by around 9 mos mine get cut off. A couple of my older 50%s have fat pockets hanging off their elbows; too high a protein grain for their age & condition.

Right now Annie is in excellent condition!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I am feeding her the right amount? Ha! I was just guessing. Glad to hear she looks good. :)

What do you think about her conformation?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone got a critique?

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I can give my shot at a critique... :)

Pros would be:
Strong pasterns
Relatively straight topline... it is not the best but it isn't too bad either.
Pretty, feminine neck. It would look even better clipped for show
Good healthy condition
Wide hornset
Good Bone

Cons
I agree she is a little narrow in the front and down her back
She has a steep rump
I'd like to see more brisket

Overall she is not a bad doe, especially if she is a percentage. :) She is so cute!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts