The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Boer goat that gave birth 5 weeks ago to triplets. 2 were still born and one healthy. Since then I haven’t been able to put weight back on her. She’s eating hay and grain. I called the vet and told him she wasn’t gaining weight and she had white cloudy mucus coming from her vagina, he said it all may be a vaginal tear so he gave me an antibiotic, that was 2 weeks ago and still no change. So I spoke to my breeder and she said introduce red cell which I have, no change. So now I’m desperate!!!! Here fecal matter is normal just not gaining weight. Please help.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Did the mucus smell bad?

Not sure why you introduced red cell unless she is anemic. Very dangerous to give if not needed.

Ask your vet to run a fecal for worms and coccidia.

Also, do keep in mind that if she is lactating her body condition may be a little poor - what are you feeding and how much?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is not lactating her milk never came in. I should add this is her first kidding. She is getting 3 cups of grain (Purina) and all the hay she can eat. My breeder said that the red cell may help I have never used it before.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It’s only been 5 weeks since she kidded. Calm down. You don’t see weight gain fast like that on a mature animal. Nor do you want to. Rapid changes of body condition aren’t a good thing. Pouring too much feed to her too fast can result in all kinds of problems from bloat or acidosis to founder.

Do you have an actual scale? Can you post a pic of the doe? Is she thin or just sunken looking from having kids? Their bodies don’t just bounce back right away. It takes time for them just like it takes time for us.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
@CBPitts is right, but also... The doe isn't lactating or feeding kids? So was she thin before kidding? Her abdomen looking sunken and hollow are different than her being underweight. Do her hip bones feel very boney? Can you feel vertebrae on the spine? Ribs are prominent beneath winter coat?

If she never produced milk, she is likely selenium deficient or has a parasite issue.

Most does do need deworming after the stress of kidding. Discharge is completely normal for weeks after kidding so I have no idea why your vet recommended antibiotics without a fever or foul odor.

Are you able to post photos of the doe?

The fact that two kids were stillborn and she didn't produce milk really points to selenium deficiency most likely.

·
14,760 Posts
I agree - my questions would be, what was her weight/condition before kidding? If she is hollow in the midsection that can happen, although some does tend to bounce back within 5 weeks time and especially since she isn't nursing.
Have you given Bo-Se? Copper Bolus? We raise Boer goats and we don't measure feed, we weigh it in lbs. Our does get 3-4lbs. of feed a day who are nursing - normally more, but we are feeding alfalfa hay along with timothy/grass (or clover/grass).
If she is up to date on everything, you might try increasing her feed, maybe add in some shredded beet pulp and see if she'll eat that.

It's so hard to say what route to go because we can't see her, can't put our hands on her, etc. But if you have pictures or can get some, that might help a bit.

If you run your hand along her spine, does it feel really bumpy or slightly bumpy?

·
14,760 Posts
I find brisket and tail head the easiest places to check weight on a goat.
Honestly all 3 places are good for checking. If they are thin, the spine is going to stick up, and the 'notches' are going to be very pronounced. I was just showing a family that tonight on a doe. Sometimes when people are learning, using the spine can be a good starting point, and even feeling over the ribs. At least it was for me, and I just pass on that information. Learn as you go :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I find the spine the hardest, especially for newbies! Goats can feel “boney” along the spine even in good condition if you don’t know what you’re feeling for (unless they’re obese Boers ).

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If it was injectable ivermectin, be sure you gave 1mL per 30lbs orally. Repeat in 10-14 days. It's recommended to use two dewormers at once but if she is very very anemic it may be better to wait until the next dose. There's some risk of bleeding out giving ivermectin orally to an extremely anemic doe as the worms die & drop off leaving bleeding holes in the digestive system.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I would stop Purina, I used to raise rabbits on Purina rabbit chow and had almost all of my breeders drop weight and die. I would find another feed to give her just in case you have a bad batch of Purina. I feed Sprouted Wheat, Oats, Boss, Mung beans, and alfalfa pellet. Have you had a fecal done on her yet? What kind of hay do you feed? Have you given her any B Complex? Is she drinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
101.9 is rectal temp she’s drinking and eating great. Just been giving her grass hay and alfalfa nuggets along with mineral also put a selenium block out tonight should I give red cell??

·
14,760 Posts
Ok I was tired and misread your original post thinking you had done a fecal --- you need to do a fecal and find out what she is dealing with, she definitely is thin and I'm going to guess she is loaded with worms of some kind. If not, then it's feed or possibly need to draw blood and have her tested.

I agree with Salteylove, Ivermectin is a good start if she is severely wormy since it is not always a very good dewormer by itself because of resistance. Have the fecal done ASAP, then that will give you an idea of what kind of worms and egg count she has, so you can deworm with something better that will be effective in killing the worms. This will also rule out cocci. Dewormers won't touch cocci, so if that were the problem she'd need a totally different treatment.

I don't know about Purina feed being an issue. I will say I don't know a lot of people that use it. But never heard anything bad about their goat feed?
So whatever you do change or not, you need to increase her feed. Might consider adding in the beet pulp. Dyne would be good to add as well.

I find the spine the hardest, especially for newbies! Goats can feel "boney" along the spine even in good condition if you don't know what you're feeling for (unless they're obese Boers ).
Everyone has their way of doing things. I have no issues using the spine. Honestly, I find the brisket can be very deceiving - I've seen does with flabby briskets who were otherwise thin or emaciated. Really... in all honestly, you have to consider the goats overall condition.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts