The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought this doeling for our daughter to show. We are just beginning to get (semi) serious in the ring. I am curious what you think of this doeling? We're cattle people that are slowly learning. ;) Any noticable flaws would be helpful! (I see a goat...lol) Regardless, she is a million times better then our herd now! Lol
20200305_064806.jpg

(Please ignore our spare shed pics...our barn flooded, so we moved everyone in there)
20200305_064850.jpg
20200307_145243.jpg
20200307_145243.jpg
20200305_200748.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was born October, 2019. (Single)

The dapple is one of our kiko crosses (Jan. 2020). She is about as wide as a piece of paper. Lol Her mother fostered one of my bottle babies though!

Most of our goats came from "Craigslist Stock." We've only recently decided to spend some $$$ on them.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Hey..I have done the same. The dapple from the side looks great.
So she is about 5 months old? Around 50lbs or more? She looks wide & flat
Nice head, nice length of neck. I would think she would do well.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Awww. She's so cute!

Personally, I would want some more width from front to back, a longer body, and a bigger brisket. She looks posty in the rear. I would breed her to a buck that could add width, length, mass, and even out her topline.

I'm the worst critic when it comes to our own herd. However, finding flaws and improving upon them is the only way to learn and grow! Good luck with your doeling. I think she's a good start.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Sorry, I have to say the opposite here, don't hate me.
The show ring is pretty competitive out there and she may not fair well.

I would like to see more:
Width.
Longer feminine neck, she seems short there in the top pic and OK in the other pic.

She has a lot of tailhead drop.
Looks posty, unless it is just the way she is standing?

A little more body length, as in more loin.

The pics are kinda hard to judge by, but that is what I am seeing.

She is a stocky girl though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We knew she was not "top caliber" when we got her, so no feelings hurt here! We live in a dead zone for goats though, so our competition is not 4 digit wethers (except at 1 show). We had to drive almost 3 hours to get one of her caliber.

I really do appreciate the critiques! Like I said, we are still learning what to look for. I knew she was post legged already, and the rest gives me something to work towards!

(Just to give you an idea of our market, we snagged this girl for $200 in an auction. 100% and part hog)
20191125_070745.jpg

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I agree, there is risk getting them from there.

She is a nice doe, I have to admit there.

All you can do is, go to a show with the doeling you have.
Just keep in mind, if you do poorly, even well, listen to what the judge say with critics.
Learn as you go, what they like and dislike.
Getting to show and being there, will get easier, for each show you attend.

I have seen some beautiful animals docked down and I seen nothing wrong with them.
Some judges have their own likes and dislikes (preferences) and do judge that way, which they should not.
They should go by the ABGA or standards of the breed character. ;)
Some like the new style, while others like the odd still boers.

If we are docked, we shake it off and still walk proud for trying.
It doesn't always mean, we have a bad animal, it may mean, the judge is a jerk and believe me they are out there. :)

I know some judges though, who teach and are very good at what they do. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We only do market shows, and we go to have a good time. I grew up showing beef cattle, but our 9 year old is really into her goats. The nearest ABGA sanctioned show is over 3 hours from us, so don't think we'll ever get there. Lol

She got Reserve Champion with her yearling doe last year and we haven't been able to live with her since. ;) I just don't know what to look for in a frame, so this has been very helpful!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Toth totally nailed it, and you have the right mind set to have fun. I always tell my kids have fun and learn! It is absolutely amazing to see how sometimes judges seem to have totally different taste. My sons does did so well 2 years ago but very poorly this last fair. One of his does everyone loved the looks of her and he got offers from people that wanted to buy her or one of her kids. She did REALLY bad in the ring lol it was just simply a different judge different likes. But we listened and even though a few things we disagreed about we still listened to what he had to say and thought it over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts