The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boer does are skinny***pics added****

So they get the same exact feed as my milking does, but my boer does are always under weight.
they get wormed in rotation, free choice minerals, utd on shots, fresh water at all times, and free choice hay, pasture in the spring with hay year round even still. But no matter what they are always skinny, whether or not it they have kids.
I don't get it, my dairy does are fatter than they are! On my boers you can see the hip, short rib and spine. No size or meat to them really.
I have absolutely 0 goat vets were I live, every last one of them is a horse vet.

The wormer I use is zimecterin gold, ivermectin shots and paste, and cydectin. Sometimes I use the cydectin and gold at the same time then the shot 2 weeks later.
Pink eyelids. Everything seems normal.

They all eat oat and grain hay.
These are not old does they are all 5 years old, except for my 14 year old doe which still looks better than them.
the younger does looked great as kids up until 3.
Their kids are all fatlings. Haha, and in all reality their mommas don't milk work squat.

Do boers need something else, am I not doing something right? I just think its horrible, my milking alpines look obese compared to the boers.

Any suggested are much appreciated!

·
2,203 Posts
What exactly goes into their ration? How much exercise are they getting? Just walking around or in a small pen? Anything to climb on?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
That is quite a lot of dewormer. I would suspect tapeworm. Do you see any "segments" in their pooh? Use a "white dewormer", and give it 3 days in a row.

The most recent information I have on dewormers are that you should not "rotate". Use 1 till it stops working and then use another. Are you deworming on a schedule or because they are skinny? Have you had a fecal done? Do you look at the "mucosa" to see if it's pink? I always give some B-complex when in doubt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I've never had any problem keeping weight on Boer does. In fact I have to watch it when they are not nursing kids or they get obese. I have Boers from all different bloodlines from different breeders and they all get fat. I really don't worm that often. About twice a year. Some people call grain hay "straw" and don't consider it nutritious.
I find it implausible your dairy does are fat and your Boer does are skinny. Do you live in the Twilight Zone? ;)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The zimectrin gold kills tapeworm. I don't have any goat vets out here all horse vets so I have gotten a fecal done.
They get wormed every 2 months.
The grain they get is a sweet cob, calf manna, and boss. They get a pound a day since the kids are weaned.
They are in a 1 acre pen, they get rocks and stumps to climb on along with trees. However the adults to climb on anything.

The hay is green, it does have oats in and quite a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Oat hay has very little nutrition in it. Mostly just a filler. I'd offer them a quality grass hay mix which includes Timothy, blue grass, and meadow. If possible, also give them some good alfalfa.

Terrible thought....but I'd have them tested for Johne's disease. If they start loosing weight at 3 yrs and are that thin...???

Also, you can send a fecal sample to a lab if the horse vets won't do it for you.

·
14,615 Posts
So everyone is getting the sweet cob calf manna & boss??
In addition to making sure they dont have tapes I'd be quiting the cob & replacing with a good 16% grain. Also they should get alfalfa if it's available.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could get them better feed, but the alfalfa we get out here is sprayed or something, the goats, horses, and cows would rather starve than eat the alfalfa. It literally will sit in the feeder for weeks if I don't get something else. And nobody carried grass hay. All I can get out here is 3 way grain hay, alfalfa or stock hay. That's it.
Plus I had a doe get sick at fair once, she had been eating alfalfa, and a vet told me alfalfa is not the best feed for anything, it is not a natural feed. In a natural environment, nothing will eat alfalfa.

Yes everyone is getting that grain. 25% cob, 25% boss, 50% calf manna. I mix it like that. Same thing my Dairy does get.

It shouldn't be Johnes, I test for Johnes, CAE and Cl every fall. Always came back negative.

I mean it is really weird, Dairy does I can understand looking the way my boers do but not the other way around.
If you want I can try to upload a pic of one of the boers and one of my alpines so you can see the difference?
They are fullblood boers and AM alpines.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here is one of my boer does she is the worst looking of them all. This is my first time uploading pics, so i hope it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
My boers are like that too, my other goats get big and fat while my boer does are way harder to put on weight. Do they have a field with lots of brush they can eat, or mabey feed them high protein pellet feed some? I know what you mean when you say they wont eat stuff, mine would rather starve than eat somthing they dont like i hate it lol. ....I dont know just ideas. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
What dose are the wormers your giving? Have you treated for liver flukes? I'd also check into johnes testing as well as a good grain. Noble goat is easy to find at TSC.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
I agree with Di on the wormer... use what works until it no longer works..then switch..otherwise they are growing a resistance to too many wormers and one day you will have nothing to give them..
Alfalfa is a natural food for goats...if you can find a clean source..
I would ditch the cob and get a 16% pellet grain.not sweet feed...
Def. Run a fecal...worms shed eggs in cycles so do a few at different times to be sure..
if you can not find a good pellet try this
6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 part BOSS
1 part beet pulp

mix and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa pellets....

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, they are neg. for CAE, CL, anf Johnes. No, not so much on the pasture or brush.
No, I havent treated specifically for liver flukes.
How much do you reccomend of the noble goat, like max pounds after i get her built up?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
After getting her up maybe 1/2 to 1lb. It shouldn't be hard to put and keep weight on them. All the boers I've had were border line obese. If the grain doesn't work I would seriously consider replacing them.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
While putting it you'll want to feed her up slowly so you don't shock her system.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts