Boer fiber?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by ivy eaters, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Has anyone heard of boers with very soft fluffy winter coats? We have three and one gets increadibly fuzzy in the winter. The two younger ones do get some soft fleecy fur behind their ears but nothing like what we are seeing in the older one. Maybe she's a mix? :chin: I'll try to get a picture of her when the snow stops falling but until then I would love to hear what any of you might think.

sara

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Some of our Boer's get that way too...and they have absolutely zero fiber goat in them.
    -Sara

3. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    This is not the very best picture but it does show how fluffy she gets.
    At least it will if I actually attached the photo :scratch:

4. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Nope, I'll have to try to figure out what I am doing wrong.

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I have 30+ boers and a few always put on a big "cashmere" coat for the winter and we are in a very mild winter area. It's got to be a recessive gene or something because it runs in family groups, but most don't get that furry. The ones that get real fluffy do so every year regardless of the weather. One is a solid red, but puts on such a heavy white undercoat for winter that she looks very odd because a lot of white shows through the red. She has no problem staying warm. LOL

I was noticing earlier that one of my pet wethers with the very thick undercoat needs a brushing badly. His undercoat is clumping together and has all kinds of little pieces of hay etc in it.

It must be a LOT of work to raise cashmere!

Denise

6. No my Boers do the same for the winter. I have myotonics that do the same and others that just get a thick winter coat. It has nothing to do with the breed so much and the gene itself and where it falls though the lines over the years should a fiber goat been mixed in or the fiber gene over the years.

7. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the feed back on this. When our vet was here a few days ago he said that she must have something else mixed in. Now I can feel confidents saying "no, I don't think so". Of the tree she has the thinest coat in the summer, so maybe that's why she needs the extra insulation in the cold weather.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Doesn't sound like your vet is very knowledgeable in the 100% FB's boers...some do get alot of fluff......in winter... then shed it off... in the spring..... :wink: :greengrin:

9. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Pam, You are right about our vet, then again, I am not very knowledgeable myself which is why I asked here. 100% FB Boers? Would you mind giving me a little info?

Thanks,
    Sara

10. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Never mind Pam, FB=full bred. I'll be alright. At first I was thinking it was a line of boers or something.

11. I would see if you can find a vet here at this site, if not choose one your vet can use to learn from near you. My vet has the vet of Onion Creek Ranch as a place to turn to if he does not know now. I provided this info to him. I hope your vet will allow you to do the same.

http://www.cybergoat.com/goat_vetT-Aus.htm

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem Sara... :hug: It means 100% FullBlood Boer .. :greengrin:

13. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010

Yep, my vet is on this site. Well not him, but the practice that he works for. I don't think it is so much about not knowing goats just each breed. Also he was here for an emergency and is not our usual vet. I think each member of the practice has an area they are stronger in and he does seem much more comfortable with the horses and cattle to me.

Right now the goat he was here to take care of is at Tufts University (on his referal). Have to give him credit for knowing when he was not going to be able to give her what she would need. She's now doing much better and we are hoping she'll be able to come home in a day or two :leap:

I will take you suggestion and look at what other options might be available. It's one thing to find someone to do the routine care but when it comes to a goat with problems that does require someone with a deeper knowledge. Also, he has been keeping in contact with the doctors at Tufts so hopefully this has been educational for him as well.

14. Let me know. If you would like me to dig up the info for your vet to call the same vet mine does, Onion Creek Ranch's vet, I will be glad to. He deals with over 1000 goats just in her farm alone so he has plenty of practice behind him. Several of us use him as a reference vet for our own.

15. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    It wouldn't hurt to have the info on hand in case I needed it. Not sure exactly how I'd present it to the vet should the need arise, but better than having an animal not get proper treatment.

16. Found it, you can find his site on line too, or the clinic site but could not find it today. I know I have seen it though. LOL

Mark Swening DVM Colman TX - Coleman Verterinary Clinic

What I did was ask my vet to put it in my file. This way should he need it or should I feel we can not figure something out together then I can have it pulled and we can learn more.

17. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
  18. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Ok, I finally had a few minutes to figure out why I wasn't able to upload my photo. It was too big :greengrin: Let's see how this one works.

Attached Files:

19. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Ok, now that I have that worked out...

This photo kind of just makes her look fat. She's actually got a nice trim shape under all of that fluff!

20. Yep, our boers here all have the same coat this year.