Boer for milk?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by vrudiea, Nov 28, 2008.

1. vrudiea

vrudiea New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Hello, I unexpectedly got a free goat. She is a boer and I have read that boer goats are bred for meat, but can they be milked as well? I would love to have fresh milk, but I want to make sure that the doe has enough milk to feed her kids first. About how much milk could I get out of her? Can I breed her with a good dairy goat to get a decent milk goat?! Any one have boer crosses that they milk??? :scratch: :scratch:
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Boers are bred for meat therefore, the breed isn't "picky" about udder/teat quality, this doe you acquired may very well be milkable and produce a good amount, but the udder may be "odd" compared to a dairy or dairy cross doe. My mom has a Boer/ Nubian cross doe that has an awful udder...extremely bad attachments as well as numerous extra small non functional teats on the 2 functioning teats, makes it hard to grasp and can try breeding her to a purebred dairy buck and hope for a doeling that has only 2 teats and an udder that won't be too low because of bad attachments. Most concientious Boer breeders will cull kids born with more than 4 teats, therefore theres no chance of passing that on and later having an issue with a doe not being able to nurse kids because of the "defects".

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    First of all ... WELCOME TO THE GOAT SPOT (TGS for short) :)

I think Liz gave you a really good answer. Not much I could add to that.
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, boers are meat goats. And as Liz said, they can have some pretty crappy udders (which is not right, More effort should go towards correcting it)

But I had a Nubian x Boer who milked REALLY nice! she only have about 2-3 cups but it was great.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    vrudiea..welcome to the goat spot....glad to have you here.. :wave:

I raise FB registered boer......

When the kids are on her... they need it and do drink alot of won't get out as much...But if you can wait until the kids are may get 1 gallon out of her .... at a time.... if you have a good boer doe...with nice bag size....

If they are FF does the bag is smaller with less milk ...but will get bigger bagged....with more kiddings and age......
    How old is your doe?
    Ours have been really good....about producing milk ...... they have triplets and feed them all .
    I even had one doe...that had quads,,, and had plenty of milk..
    I have never had to supplement with a bottle.....It just depends on the doe lines and bag sizes... :)
    I guess it is called genetics... :thumbup: :)
  6. vrudiea

vrudiea New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I am so glad I found this site! We went to buy a flock of chickens, and the woman suckered us into taking a young doe as well. I do not know how old she is , however her horns are only about 2 inches long so I think she is very young. (the woman guessed about 4 months old) I won't be breeding her until she has finished growing and becomes healthy. Currently, she is very anemic with a low temperature and scabs all over her nose and ears. Fortunately, she has been improving with a deworming, extra minerals, vitamin B shots, and "magic formula" (corn syrup, veggie oil, and molassass).She is very tiny, only weighing 35 lb. If she pulls through, we would like to breed her. I was thinking with a nigerian dwarf, since they are small and good milkers. Do people offer stud services for goats? How much is a stud fee usually?
    If I did breed her,how do I know when the kids are done and I can start milking? How many days will I be able to milk her before she dries up?

Our little girl, Alice:
    (how do I get that tag out of her ear??)
  7. vrudiea

vrudiea New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Forgive me for a stupid question, but what is an "FF doe" :?
  8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Not a stupid question at all... I had the same one when I first get into goats.

FF is First Freshener -- that means the first time they have kids and thus, milk.
  9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Your Alice looks like a very sweet girl! it sounds as though you are on the right course of getting her in better shape then what she came to you in. That is great! :)

Is she your only goat? If so I do recommend you getting at least one more as a companion for her. Goats are herd animals and she would do much better with a pal. Maybe another doe or a wether.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With her horn size it looks like she is 1 to 1 1/2 month may have to bottle feed her ...weaning age for does minimum... should be 3 months... but has been known... at 2.5 mo.. so if she is way under ....she may need milk supplement ..... her horns are quite small.... her weight of 35 lbs..... explains she may be alot younger....she looks like a well muscled kid from the pic.... :shrug:

with boers we like to wait...until they are 1 to 1 1/2 years least..

I would recommend that you to take her to the veterinarian ..have him or her... do a skin sample scrapping ... they can treat her... right away for her skin condition...and tell you what to give her for her her anemia....give her a good looking over...test her she if you have killed the right type of worms..or what she needs to treat a worm overload...she may still is the quickest diagnosis ...and will help her sooner.....she will have a chance to survive....Alot of people have lost ther goats this year to the symptoms you have with your doeling...
    Be sure to keep her warm ...put out a heat lamp for her ...It will be well worth it in the long run... ... goats.html

You usually wean the kids between 2.5 to 3 months old....usually the bucklings are weaned 2.5 months...especially if they are bringing out Mr winky..if you know what I mean.... :wink: boers just like any goats will continue with milk long as you keep milking her.....If though you plan on breeding her and get her bred will have to stop then and there.. and have to wait until weaning time again....which is about 8 months...

yes... some do offer stud service.....but not them all ...most believe in a closed herds... :)

How much and what kind of wormer did you use?

Alice is really cute....good luck with her I will pray she will be alright... :pray:
  11. vrudiea

vrudiea New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I rent 14 acres of a 100 acre organic farm. My landlord lives on another house on the other end of the property and she has 2 five year old nubian/alpine wethers (they are BIG boys!). They get turned out in a 50 acre field that borders my 14 acres. Right now, Alice is staying in one of my fields, with my chickens, because I do not want to spread worms and skin problems to the other goats. When she is all better I'm going to rewire the fencing so that she can get into the big field with the other animals. I feel so bad for her because even though she has the chickens, she screams "MAAAH" at the top of her lungs every time I leave. It breaks my heart because she sounds so desperate! I have been spending a ton of time with her and I let her follow me around most of the day while I garden. I hope this doesn't make it more stressful for her when I lock her in her pasture.
  12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Hi and welcome to TGS! People do offer stud services or you can do AI (artificial insemination) as well. The prices range by the quality of the animal, if he is registered, bloodlines/genetics. When you wean the kids at 2 1/2-3 months you may start milking her. If you continue milking her she will produce milk for a while however, I would dry her up before re-breeding her since she isn't a dairy goat (dairy goats can be milked while pregnant if thye arer dried up by 3 months).
  13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi, from ak. I'm Katrina

congrats on the goat! She does look young, maybe 1-2 months ,I'd bottle feed or offer milk. She also looks like a boer. As for the tag, you could leave it in or take pliers and cut the center part that goes through the ear, it should break into two pieces.
  14. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yep right now she is going MAAAH when you leave because at the moment you are her "goat companion" as I said they are herd animals and really thrive attention for another, they fear being alone. So you are going to have a baby on your hands that demands your attention. I can fully understand keeping her sperated until she is healthy as you don't want to risk infecting another animal... but eventually you will find she needs a companion of her own to be happy. Someone she can snuggle up to at night to comfort her. :hug:

Can I ask what you dewormed her with/ Because by the looks of her ears you may have to deal with external parasites as well not only internal. Ivomec is a good dewormer that treats both internal & external parasites. She could very will have mites that is causing those scabs around her ears and nose. So you might want to investigate that.

Oh I do hope you can get this sweet girl healthy. She deserves it and looks like her life has already been rough for the short time she has been here. Thank goodness you came into her life to take care of her.

I know nothing about boer goats but there is many knowledgeable people on here that do. So ask away with the questions if you need help. And welcome to TGS. :wink:
  15. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Does the tag have a metal pin or is it just plastic? I know they sell knifes to cut tags out. If its plastic than scissors should work. If its metal you should be able to get it with wire cutters. Be mindful of her ear while doing so!
  16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Everyone has given you good answers so far.

I will just add about the part where you asked if she can be bred to a dairy buck to give a decent milking goat - absolutely!

I have milked Saanen x Boer and Togg x Boer as house goats, they did the job fine. Not as much milk as a straight dairy breed, but it depends on how much you need. I imagine crossing her to a ND would be fine, and if she has a doe kid she would make a good little milker when grown up.
  17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    When I got my wee goat Demi she had ear tags - I've also had to cut out several infected sheep tags from their (the sheep's) ears.

I use a pair of pliers like this: ... 277SDC.jpg

because they are thin and have a groove the other side which helps fit the tag more.

You will want to push the tag from the underside as far as you can (without hurting her) so that there's a little more space to cut, then slip the pliers inbetween and cut.

She will probably squeal from the pressure but as long as you aren't cutting her, she'll be fine.

It worked for me anyway :greengrin:

Demi was 6 weeks old with the tags - so if yours is the same age the holes should heal with no problems. Just make sure they're clean - they'll never fully close over but wont be an issue.