The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been raising Boer Goats as a hobby for 11 years. This year ALL but one of my 2021 doelings look like barrels with legs. They developed the big bellies when weaned. The first couple scared me and I treated for bloat but they are all healthy. FAMACHA is great. They are all sired by the same quality buck (first time used) but since the mommas have been bred before and produced normal looking kids, I am wondering if this is a trait in the sire's bloodline. They are on a large professionally managed pasture and are fed twice a day with 24/7 access to minerals and have received copper bolus. The other older does in the same environment are "normal" looking. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
Can you post pictures? Sometimes it's a good rumen, other times can be ponchy due to coccidia, tape worm or other parasites..or even bloat due fresh graze. 馃 a few things to consider on top of genetics

Reactions: MadHouse

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had a fecal to include coccidia done recently?
No, good idea. We don't have a goat vet in the area. Most of the information I get is from other goat people and through research. I will check with my horse/small animal vet to see if they can recommend a source for fecal testing. Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can send samples to Meadow Mist labs. They are very inexpensive and trustworthy.
Thank you. I will check them out. I don't know why it is so hard to find someone who specializes in goats. I have a sister-in-law who is a large animal vet but will quickly tell you that goats aren't her area of expertise.

Super Moderator
Awe..pretty babies. I would definitely get a fecal sent in. That would be a good place to start. I would also give probiotics daily. That will help bring balance in their rumen.

Reactions: CountyLineAcres

Super Moderator
You need to get Probios or another probiotic that is just probiotic. The treat doesn't give them a proper probiotic that actually works on their rumen. Fecal to include coccidia is critical to do.

Super Moderator
I agree...get them some goats specific probiotics that aren't in a treat form. 馃槈

1 - 17 of 17 Posts