The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm a Boer breeder in central Oklahoma. I focus on breeding quality breeding stock for show, and also raise the wethers that I don't keep as breeding stock for meat. I've had goats for years and years, but the Boers I just got into about a year ago, we invested alot in getting some good lines, and I'm totally hooked on this breed. :)

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, you do have real nice goats ,and bloodlines :love: ,all your goats beautiful ,, :drool:,we are looking for a show quality buck or buckling at this time ,wish you had some for sale and were closer, I live in California.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
yea i just got started out like 2 months ago. my friend melissa at lovenmranch.com has given me three does an i have a 50% doe from rebecca at moonstone ranch. i need to breed two of my does soon. melissa might have a buck for sale, she has pretty nice goats

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
hi toth, we are in Wasilla- Palmer area, in The Matanuska Valley, about half an hour north of Achorage (our largest city). Right now its approx. 63 degrees, we've had a very rainy summer, usually it gets up to about 76. the winters where we are at are dark, and not too cold, the lowest temp this winter was -39.

but in the interior (where ArcticGoats is) its gets REAL cold -50 ish? and hot in the summer 90ish (arctic goats, please correct me :wink: , i've never lived up there)

Yeah my dad knows some of the crab fisherman on deadliest catch, mostly the captains, he met out in King Salmon (where we used to live, out on the aleutian Chain)
We don't know any ice truckers though. Theyre up north.

But our genetics here are , well, not very good. Boers are becoming popular, but nobody has show quality. We had our first AK USBGA sanctioned show with a grand total of 12 goats, and 5 breeders. which we thought was a great turn out. But by next year i hope to have a lower 48 buckling, and a few more fullbloods!

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Alaska, sounds like you live in a wonderful part of Alaska , :thumb:
your dad knows some of the crab fisherman on deadliest catch, mostly the captains,that is really neat. Do you watch the show? Captain Phil Harris from the Cornelia Marie is having major health issues. I pray he will get better. :pray:

Real glad to hear they are starting up goat shows in Alaska, the boer goat industry is spreading,that is a good thing, but the economy is not helping us breeders right now that is the bad. Hopefully it will get better for all of us soon I hope and :pray:
thanks for the info I really enjoyed it Alaska :sun:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts