Boer goat color

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Goober, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Having a little debate about this: Is black or red dominant? Basically, is it possible to get a black out of two reds, or does there have to be a black parent? Speaking just with boer genetics, I know different pattern genes can cause things to look a little different.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I think red is more dominant. no experience, but it seems that black headed does have more red babies than black

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would say red but really our boers throw all different colors!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It all depends on color genetics.... It can be like a box of chocolates... never know ...what you will get....one animal may have more of the color genes such as black or red ... than the other...... Solids can throw solids....paints and traditionals...or spotted........as a traditional out of those same lines ...can throw any of them as well.... because it is in the genes.. So cannot really answer that to a definate...when putting solid colored boers together.... but the of odds to throw them are there..... If there is a black gene...to be able to throw solid black boers... then it is possible..... :wink: