The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have two Boer does, who were bred in late May-mid June (one girl is clearly two to three weeks behind the other, not liking the billy much!) and the first girl, Hannah, appears to be in labor. (Not eating her hay, nor feed, nor treats offered, not moving around much, standing with hind legs apart, then switching to standing with forelegs up on a 8" stand, leaking clear sticky fluid, mostly before and after she urinates. Question: She has mushy diarrhea falling down over her vulva, and the who area and tail are a mess. I've splashed her behind with water a few times to "clean" her off without messing with her vulva. Is diarrhea normal at this stage?
Yes, newbie. Thanks in advance for any answers!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How long has she appeared to be in labor? Depending on the amount of time you want to make sure she isn't trying to develop milk fever or go hypocalcemic on you. Buying ketone strips from your everyday pharmacy store will let you know if she is okay. If they aren't eating for more than 12 hours or so I start to get really worried personally. These late term does can go downhill fast if you aren't careful. Another thought is if it's been a while since you think she started labor then you might worry about kids not being in the correct position.

Best of luck and can't wait to see your new additions!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet stopped on her way home and said all is progressing well. 12-24 hours more, she thought. Hannah took some grape leaves for a snack, and has been chewing on the salt/mineral block a lot today.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once the kid/s are born, how long does it take before they should start suckling?

·
mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo
227 Posts
If she only has one, you want to get it on the teet ASAP, my Feta was nursing within 30 min. If she has more than one, waiting after delivery some won't hurt, if second delivery is taking it's time and she will let it nurse the stimulation will hurry the second ones delivery. Good luck, get camera ready!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
False alarm. Cervix is still closed and she has a fever, although is eating and drinking, unlike yesterday. Still oozing poop. Vet took blood, poop, milk samples, and gave her antibiotics. Fingers crossed it is nothing irreversible. :( Should hear back in an hour or two.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woke this morning to three babes, after treating her for ketosis all this week after my posting!! She was finally getting back to normal yesterday. Voila! Three little dudes. 2 x 7 lbs, one x 6 lbs. Mama was half laying on one. It was cold (47*) for NorCal this morning, and they had clean heads but were all shivering. We warmed them & dried them up with towels. I tied the umbilical cords with dental floss, cut them and dipped each in iodine. The one that was half under mama took a good few hours until it acted okay. We took some colostrum from the mom and fed it to him with a syringe, and then he totally perked up. All okay, but can't stand well. I went to Goodwill and gone old sweaters and made them each a sweater warmed from the sleeves. Mama is still taking 20ml x 2 qpr of propylene glycol per the vet. have increaed the grain ration and added in some sweet feed (very slowly) the past three days. Mama is thin. Such crazy stuff. Lola is due in 2 weeks, so now I have the ketone pee sticks to check her! ARGH!
Will check babes at 10:30, then bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful boys!! Sorry you had to go through such a hard week with the mama. I make mine sweaters too, with old wool hats with cut out holes hahaha. Post some pics of them in their sweaters, that is too cute!

They should all be up and nursing on their own. Mine are up bouncing around within minutes of birth, and should all be latching on on their own.

If not, try holding them and mama to let them eat. Just do it enough that you are sure they are getting enough to eat. That should give them a boost until they are strong enough to eat themselves. If that doesn't work, milking some off the mama to syringe or bottle feed will work too. Just until they figure it out on their own.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. I've spent hours today making sure they each had a time to nurse, holding them up to her, and then also watching them each find her teats themselves. They are very splay-legged, and mostly end up nursing on their knees. They sometimes seem like they can do it, and sometimes get too tired. I have been worrying about how the ketosis could have effected each of them, so I've wanted to make sure they each get colostrum.
I've tried putting more hay down, and taking it down to the dirt...they seem to have trouble slipping regardless of the flooring!
They were also very cold and wet this morning until the sun hit and I could towel them off, and put them in the hay in the sunshiny warmth. Then they all perked up. Will they be okay tonight's at 47'F? They are in a 4-sided shelter with sheeting below and hog wire (open air) on 3 sides above 5', so they are fenced in and predator- safe but not enclosed like a barn would be to trap warmth.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have you tried selenium paste? It might be at the feed store, but I had to order mine. If you can't find that soon, vitamin E capsules broken and squirted in their mouths.

The wobbly legs could be from that. I have only had it happen once to my big boer doe who had twin boys. Their legs would buckle the first few days. I had to hold mama and help them eat around the clock because they couldn't stand and eat enough. I couldn't get the paste in time, so I used the vitamin e capsules you get from the drug store. Just bite it and squirt it in their mouths. It's a sticky job, but it helped my two boys. I feel like I gave them a few capsules each a couple times a day for a few days, but it has been a while so I don't know the dosage.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
They are adorable!
I agree, it sounds like they are selenium deficient. I think you can either give them a shot of BoSe or as mentioned, selenium paste.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Man they are cute! I would definitely try to insulate them more, and/or put a heat lamp on them. The last time my doe had triplets, one of them was weak and wobbly like that and I would milk some from mama at bed time, bring the weak babe inside in a box with towels, and bottle feed her during the night. Then I would put her back with her mama in the morning. I did that just for a few nights until she was walking around better. You can also mix some coffee with molasses and give them some of that to help give them a little energy boost a couple of times a day. Good luck! I hope they are hopping around soon, so you can get ready for your next kids!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts