The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am completely new to the percentages, and highly confused....
I bought a 98% doeling and I am looking to add a registered buckling. From what I understand, breeding bucks have to be fullblood per ABGA guidelines to create percentage offspring....
The buckling I am interested in buying is registered at 99.9%....what percentage kids would I get if I bred him to a 98% doe?
Should I invest in him or continue searching for a fullblood buck? He’s only .1% off but I will be making a huge trip to pick him up. He will be my first registered buck.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
First, make sure his sire has DNA on ABGA file.

You will never have 100 % (FB) boer if you have a high percentage buck. 99.9% is all you will achieve.

I honestly would want a FB 100% boer buck.

Then, you can get some FB does eventually and still have your percentages.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, make sure his sire has DNA on ABGA file.

You will never have 100 % (FB) boer if you have a high percentage buck. 99.9% is all you will achieve.

I honestly would want a FB 100% boer buck.

Then, you can get some FB does eventually and still have your percentages.
Thank you! I'm going to continue looking for a fullblood and familiarizing myself with how this complicated process works!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Lol it is very complicated!
So what your looking at is get sire and dams percentage and add together. So in this case you have a 99+98 and it comes out to 197. Now divide that by 2 and you get 98.5. So those offspring will be 98.5%.
Now if you get a 100% buck you are looking at 99% kids. You do not HAVE to have a fullblood. You can now go as low as 50%. It honestly depends on what the breeder wants. How much importance you put on percentages. Breeders like Toth only run full bloods. She has all fullblood does so she is not going to want to lower that percentage and get anything lower then 100%.
I kinda have a mixed herd and have anything from 50% to 100%. To date I have only bought full blood bucks because I do not want to have to mix and match my full blood does to bucks by percentage but by which buck will improve them. Now there was a REALLY nice 99% buck that I was seriously considering but someone made the choice easy for me and bought him before I did. But for me unless the buck is like that one and pretty much perfect in every way I would rather have a fullblood.
And then there are breeders that percentages mean very little they just want good stock with papers attached to them.
So really it’s up to you. My vote is fine a fullblood that way you can sell to buyers of all verity ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It depends on your goals. If you think you’ll ever get a fullblood doe, you’re normally going to want a fullblood buck, or you risk lowering the value of the offspring (in most scenarios).

For us, we’ve considered using purebred bucks on our percentage does, but we just don’t have enough of them to make it worth it. Our 100% bucks are universal for all our stock.

However, if the 99% buck you found is the best you’ve seen, then he is something to consider.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol it is very complicated!
So what your looking at is get sire and dams percentage and add together. So in this case you have a 99+98 and it comes out to 197. Now divide that by 2 and you get 98.5. So those offspring will be 98.5%.
Now if you get a 100% buck you are looking at 99% kids. You do not HAVE to have a fullblood. You can now go as low as 50%. It honestly depends on what the breeder wants. How much importance you put on percentages. Breeders like Toth only run full bloods. She has all fullblood does so she is not going to want to lower that percentage and get anything lower then 100%.
I kinda have a mixed herd and have anything from 50% to 100%. To date I have only bought full blood bucks because I do not want to have to mix and match my full blood does to bucks by percentage but by which buck will improve them. Now there was a REALLY nice 99% buck that I was seriously considering but someone made the choice easy for me and bought him before I did. But for me unless the buck is like that one and pretty much perfect in every way I would rather have a fullblood.
And then there are breeders that percentages mean very little they just want good stock with papers attached to them.
So really it's up to you. My vote is fine a fullblood that way you can sell to buyers of all verity ;)
This made it SO much easier to understand!!! I've been trying to figure out the math of all of this and your comment made me realize it's a lot simpler than I was making it!
But I agree with everyone so far. I bought 3 doelings, two are fullblood but don't have papers and the other is 98% with papers. I'm really wanting a fullblood buck for the reasons you listed! The 99.9% buck I was looking at is a nice looking guy, for sure. But, there are some qualities that my commercial buck passes him in that had me debating the decision beforehand.
I am starting this adventure very slowly, but I'm very excited because this has been one of my biggest goals. I have plenty of time to find a full blooded buck and Id rather take time and find the one that makes me say "I absolutely can't pass this guy up" than rush into a decision.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes! If you have time to shop for exactly what you want then do so. I always hate rush shopping :/ we all have things that we absolutely must have and if being fullblood is yours then make sure you get it. I do think though, especially just starting out, your making the right move getting a fullblood.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes! If you have time to shop for exactly what you want then do so. I always hate rush shopping :/ we all have things that we absolutely must have and if being fullblood is yours then make sure you get it. I do think though, especially just starting out, your making the right move getting a fullblood.
This makes me feel a lot better! My 3 new doelings are 2019/2020 kids so I have time to find exactly what I'm looking for. I hate rushed shopping, myself. There are a lot of breeders I'd love to buy a buckling from, maybe I'll have the opportunity to do so!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts