Boer Goat Picture Conformation Guide

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by kkpage2, Jan 11, 2016.

1. kkpage2

kkpage2 New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Hello, my parents have owned and bred goats for about 7 years now with the main purpose of brush clearance on a 40 acre ranch, so they haven't been too concerned about conformation etc. They started with just nubians, then added some nubian/boer crosses, and have finally moved on to having just boers. They've decided they want to focus on quality over quantity now that the brush is under control.

So I've been trying to research good boer conformation, but am having some difficulties. I've read the USBGA judge's guidebook etc but a lot of what's said is still confusing to me; it's hard for me to picture what's being described! I've tried searching for picture guides but am having no luck. I've found a few picture charts for dairy goat udders and such but nothing really boer specific, and encompassing the entire goat.

What I'm looking for is pictures of each part of the goat; legs, head, chest etc of whats bad and good for comparison. If anyone knows of any and would like to share I'd be absolutely delighted! In the meantime I've decided I'm going to tackle trying to create my own guide. The best way to learn something is to try to teach it! I've attached what I've created so far for critique and suggestions (The head). I'll probably need some help with some of the body parts that I'm not more familiar with at some point.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England

3. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Also, I saved these photos from a Facebook thread the other day but failed to keep a citation for them.

Attached Files:

4. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just as important as their breed conformation, or just overall soundness as a goat, not just boer, is their parasite resistance, being disease free, mothering ability, temperment, and having good feet!

Rockashelle likes this.
  5. kkpage2

kkpage2 New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Oh, I like those head shots, SalteyLove! and definitely agree about the temperament, parasite resistance, hooves and mothering abilities. Those are the characteristics that we have been keeping so far. Whatever goat can thrive on as little interference as possible; no hoof trimming - only natural wearing down of hooves needed, must be able to handle them - friendly, very little help kidding, predominantly pasture fed etc.

6. kkpage2

kkpage2 New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I found these foreleg charts for horses, would these still apply for goats?

Attached Files:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If you would like to see Boer teats go to "Some Boer Teat Structure." here on TGS. Pics taken from my herd.

9. kkpage2

kkpage2 New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Thanks for all the links everyone. I've been studying the forelegs and attached what I came up with. Please let me know if any of the terms I've used or the information displayed is incorrect. The last thing I want to do is spread incorrect info! Also, I noticed the USBGA guidebook mentions 'hollow legs'. I can't find any information on what exactly that is. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    toth boer goats likes this.
  10. jaimn

jaimn Member

May 16, 2015
  11. Justaffagirl

Justaffagirl Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Hewitt,texas
    Hey if y’all don’t mind could y’all judge my goat for me please I have a county show coming up in 12 days and idk how good he looks 9D635F1C-798D-4E59-BB74-609C6522D671.jpeg DA71B82B-316B-4D06-9148-B088994C48F6.jpeg A13FBB80-82D0-4042-B9B8-48460D17F698.jpeg E07C4EFD-7DC6-4C7C-ADB9-ED7E943B4F47.jpeg 8482384D-0615-4BFE-9F43-C802B92D82E1.jpeg 4264569F-7888-414C-817D-5A0ADAAFBF57.jpeg

12. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Good luck! I don't do much with fair goats but he looks nicely put together.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Justaffagirl

Justaffagirl Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Hewitt,texas
    Thank you I’m just so scared because all my judges in like just regular to kill time shows. have said he’s to round but he’s a large goat so it makes sense for him to be round.