The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Daniel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mates: About 1/2 of my herd's fur has been looking a bit rough for a month or so now. They don't have any bald spots or hot spots, but just looks a bit patchy. I think that is from them scratching themselves with their horns. I was thinking of getting and applying Seven Dust, but I cannot see any parasites. Any thoughts or ideas about what I may be dealing with and how to treat it? Thanks. Daniel

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Hi there,

There can be a number of causes for that, but here are my first thoughts:

Worms: How long has it been since you wormed them last?

Copper: Copper deficiency can cause a rough hair coat. Do they get mineral? If so does it have copper in it? There are several goat & sheep minerals out there, but they may lack the proper amount of copper.

Thank you,

Patrick

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
If you part their hair, can you see little tiny bugs? I agree with Patrick, it could be copper, worms, or possibly an external parasite like lice. I would check for lice, and if you rule that out, send in a fecal to check if they are in need of a worming. A fecal will tell you which worms they are struggling with, and the best way to treat them. :) If you have lice (I battled them this year) I use Equisect horse spray. Just spray it on a brush, scrub down to the skin. Repeat weekly, if needed. I've found it very effective. :thumb:

·
Daniel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have had a huge parasite problem this summer. They have been wormed a number of times, and fecals checked every few weeks or so. Finally, we seem to have the internal parasites under control. I just copper bolused the entire herd a few weeks ago. I am sure they were copper deficient which also added to the parasite problems and created weaker resistance. They are being fed AU Lespedeza hay every day now also. I do allow free choice minerals, but since I have sheep too I cannot give them minerals with copper. I give the copper by bolus every 3 months and in addition I hand feed loose minerals periodically.

I was wondering about lice. I haven't noticed anything crawling on them. I think I will check for lice, use seven dust if I find any, and see if the copper bolus and lespedeza helps with their fur. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts