The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my dad thinks people pump boer goats up on meds to make them big and meatie can yall help me change his mind?
Pics of yalls boers or what yall feed them would be great!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,227 Posts
Thunderbolt at 6 months

Lightning at 6 months..Both at 150lbs.

Thunderbolt and Lightning at 1 year old

Both boys are in just regular working clothes. Not washed , trimmed up or shiny. Just over 200 lbs each of good old regular feed and hay.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
791 Posts
Genetics play a huge rule in what the boers are today. The boer goat as a whole have been picked and chosen for generations to have what they are today, which are huge dudes. Feed can also play a role, someone once said you have to feed those genetics, meaning if you have a good one and starve it of course he’s not going to be great and if you have a cull no matter how much you feed he is never going to be what one with good genetics are. Here are my present and past bucks. I don’t feed grain unless they fall flat on their face after breeding it’s hay and brows and some protein tubs when they are breeding. They probably are not as good as they could be but under someone else’s management but they have never had any meds or hormones to make them what they are
Working animal Terrestrial animal Grass Sky Landscape
Terrestrial animal Horn Goat-antelope Goat Working animal
Ecoregion Nature Working animal Dairy cow Fawn
Organism Tree Sky Natural landscape Working animal
Sky Cloud Eye Fence Tree
Natural landscape Working animal Dog breed Gesture Grass
Sky Tree Working animal Adaptation Terrestrial animal
the last guy was 10 months old I never got a mature picture of him before I sold him

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am pretty smitten on your buck CountryLineAcres, but I think you have heard me say that area times lol
Moers I can not get over how big your boys have gotten! And they are just stunning, in a manly way of course. It’s just so hard to believe they used to be those little guys when you first got them. I really love seeing the kids you are getting from them and look forward to their many kids in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts