Boer horns

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by R.Williamson, Jun 28, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

1. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Active Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    So I was on Facebook today and saw a post about Boer horns. I missed the original post that apparently involved someone who had purchased a registered buck with what many called wild horns. I did not see that original post but something that was said in relation to that post caught my attention. Someone was saying that it is not uncommon for people to shape their horns as kids. So anyone have info on this?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can shape horns to a certain extent.

I don't know what you are asking about wild horns?

3. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Unfortunately the post with the wild horn set was removed.So I am not 100% positive s to what they mean by wild. I was more curious as to how they would shape them. Not something I feel a need to do but it is something I am curious as to the process of how it is done

4. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Actually this is a pic of 105770289_3098148363594838_7108362594920066906_o.jpg what they were referring to.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I bet they are talking about horn weights or even taping the horns to a small dowel or something to make them grow more correctly. I myself kinda like the wild horns more then the abga standards. Less chance of hooking and with bucks rubbing on the neck or crewing with their ability with turning their heads. But it is not ABGA standards so it defiantly frowned upon with show people

6. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    I imagine Beefs horns will be considered wild eventually. I do not like them super close in on their shoulders/neck, so it does not bother me. His kids get good gains and I am generally more focused on rail weight. The fellow pictured had some nice lines behind him.

7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I saw that post.

There are many reasons why wild type horns are looked down upon. Nevertheless, it doesn’t really matter for commercial stock.

Yes, some breeders do try to correct horn shape. However, I believe it would be impossible to correct those wild type horns. They are what they are.

8. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Yep

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, I myself would not want those.
    If the buck decided to use them to destroy fencing, other goats or even humans. It would not be pretty.

10. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I agree.

The SA standard explains that certain horn shapes tend to be associated with particular head set faults as well such as bulging and flat foreheads, concave bridges, wild eyes, etc.

It is very interesting.

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I had saved these ages ago but forgot to cite a source. I found them so interesting. Two are for bucks, one is for does.

Attached Files:

12. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I wish the ABGA made diagrams. I feel like it would be so helpful!

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The sad part is, we have no clue how the horns will end up when they are mature.
    Sometimes they can change direction.

Kinda sad also for ABGA to make the horns a big issue when you have a beautiful animal, but there is justification for it.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I agree. With horns/ they can be trimmed off. Watching them as they grow out. Prevent the wicked curl for show stock.

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I saw someone posted in light of that topic on FB, but didn't see the original post. I don't like the wild horns, and wouldn't want them. But if he is a proven buck and has not thrown that horn set and is manageable, then I don't see what the fuss is about. However... if he is throwing that horn set and comes off as unpredictable? Nope.

I've heard or seen random comments over the years about shaping, and manipulating horns, but honestly never known anyone who has done that. The only thing I know of is sanding/smoothing and just making them look nice and smooth for shows or sales.

16. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    See this is my boy Beef. I figure his horns would be less than desirable.He was a bit over a year in this pic.His horns are currently huge in my mind but they actually follow the double check on the first diagram ay the top. On the third they look like the middle check mark. The thing is that is how they look now. I see the twist starting. By the time he is 5 his horns will be huge. He is currently in the middle of a growth Spurt and his horns just look too big for his body. 20191228_091505.jpg