Boer Kid down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newmomma, Apr 5, 2009.

1. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    One of my bottle babies, has been down the last few days. He can't get up but he still eats normal and tries to get up but can't. His sister had this a couple of weeks ago and I gave her b-vitamin shots and some selenium powder in her bottle, along with probiotic paste and she cleared up in a day. He has been like this for the last 4 or 5 days. He seems to be getting a bit stronger but he still cannot get up. Everytime I go out to check on him, I rub his legs. He will be 9 weeks old tomorrow. He doesn't have a fever and his mouth is still warm as normal. He had his CDT shot March 17. When his sister had it, she started out wobbly as I was leaving one day to go to class, then when I returned home she was down. I had tried local stores to get vitamin b and no one had any. I was so afraid she wouldn't make it to the next day and the next day I got the vitamin b and gave her a shot that day and the next and then the selenium and she was back to her oldself. I figured she had goat polio or the white muscle disease..well, when he started this, I was leaving for class and noticed he was lying down but seemed normal, when I came home that evening he was down. I've done everything for him and more that I did for her and he's still down. What else can I do for him, or what else could it be besides the polio or white muscle disease?

2. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    They can't absorb selenium without vitamin E. Get some vitamin E gel tablets, poke a hole in them with a pin and squeeze the liquid into his mouth.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get him to a vet. Sounds serious. Floppy Kid Syndrom is what comes to mind

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with stacey...

of selenium...was it a shot of bo-se....or other form ?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've been havng problems with cd/t too.

have you tried any bo-se? i'd get him to a vet.

6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Good luck if it is FKS. Just went though that. We brought Tasha in the house and slept in a laundry basket until she desided that she coudl jump out of it. Just keep medicating and keep the little one warm. if you have any questions FPM and I think I might be able to help ya out. Like i said I just went though the FKS with my tasha. It is a long road to go down. Tasha is still not up to 100% but she is pulling though it.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    newmomma.....how is the baby? :worried: :pray:

8. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here, I've been busy with my baby boy and time seems to fly by. Rex, my kid that was down, is finally back to himself. It took him 2 weeks to get completely back to normal. I was giving him Vitamin b shots and giving it to him orally, vitamin E and selenium everyday. I was so afraid he wasn't going to make it. He couldn't walk or stand. I'd go out everyday and rub his legs and help him stand and try to move. I'm so tickled and thankful that he's okay. Thank you all for all of your help. I still haven't posted pictures of them yet, I'll try to do that this week. :leap:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh so glad you came back and gave us an update - LOVE IT when we get good news :D

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Out of curiosity, have you treated or tested for cocci. My neighbor had a doe kid that did this. When i got her up she had completly lost her muscle mass. It turned out to be a massive overload of cocci.
    beth

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats....great job.... :thumbup: ..you should be very proud of yourself.... :hug: ...I am super happy... that the baby is OK.......thank you so much ..for the update... :leap: :dance: :cool: