Boer/Nubian cross

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Itchysmom, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Does anyone have this cross? If so, would would post some pictures for me?

I have a saanen and found a lady who has a boer/nubian buck...mostly boer she says. I would like to see what it looks like but will not be able to get there any time soon. I want a meater buck to breed my doe to this year.

Also, when looking at bucks to breed her to, what exactly should I be looking for as far as conformation in the buck? She is a good size doe and right now her whether is growing well. He was a single and was able to be raised on the doe. I will also be going to the fair in Sept and looking at all the goats there. I just need to know what I am looking at in terms of a meat goat!

Thanks!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG]

Here's my 50-50 Boer / Nubian.
    In this pic she's 4 yrs old. this year she threw a 16lb kid easily. she has a large frame!

3. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Katrina's girl is much prettier than mine ~ ours are just home purpose, I haven't gotten into show quality.... yet! But they are all Nubian/Boer Mix. Both FF does had 2 kids each Friday. 8.25 and 9lb twins, and 8.25 & 6lb twins. Absolute perfect kidding which was a bonus since i'm brand new to all of this!

Attached Files:

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You both have beautiful goats! Thank you so much for the pictures!

Where does most of the meat come from on a goat? what should I be looking for in a buck?

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Here's 2 of ours just born last friday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

farmgirl17 likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Look at the weak points in your doe....and try to find a buck that has good qualities... to strengthen those weaknesses in your doe...for those area's ..... Such as does your Doe need....stronger pasterns....deeper twist....to have more length.....to get more muscling....width...ect.... Good luck ........ :thumb: :wink:

Nubian/ boer are a beautiful animals...we had them at one time and just loved them.... very nice everyone....love your pics... :thumb: :wink:

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Here's our guy at 3 months old. He's not as stocky as I would like so we are going with another buck for breeding this fall, but I love his coloring so we are going to keep him to breed next year if he muscles up or he'll be the forever wether pet. :laugh: Maybe a lanky growth spurt?
    88% Boer, 12% Nubian

Attached Files:

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    After seeing all yur nice goats, I can hardly wait to see this ladies bucks.

when I can, I will try to get some good pics or my doe and let you all take a look at her and give me your opinions.

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Heres another.

[​IMG]
    This is my Belle. She is Boer/Nubian and has beautiful dapples on her legs and her head. She was a first freshener this time around with twins(which one was a gorgeous black and white doeling) but unfortunately she rejected the other, which was a buck kid, and the little doeling wasn't too smart and would nurse from her or a bottle. The little boy wanted to nurse, but she didn't want him to. He took the bottle like a pro. She was a bottle baby and a FF, and didnt spend too much time with the boy after birth so she just didnt get that bond with him. But when we would milk her out she was giving over a half gallon a day, as an FF. I thought that was pretty awesome.

She is for sale if anyone is interested :D

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I just sold a doe who was nubian/boer. I believe her mama was nubian, and the daddy was a boer if I remember correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've seen a lot of people on our local craigslist who breed boer/nubian. I've met some people as well, and they really like the cross. THey say the nubian brings in a lot more milk, which I've heard can be a downside of boer - some boers don't always produce a lot of milk for their kids <I am new, but this is what I've heard>. So by bringing the nubian into the mix, it adds more..

If you were wanting a meat goat, I'd go with a boer/kiko. Again, very very popular around here, and I've heard nothing but good about the mix - kiko are very hardy and easy keepers.
    One of our does is a boer/kiko cross.

Have fun! :)

11. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I wish I could find a boer/kiko! So far I have found a Boer and a Boer/Nubian cross. I am leaning towards the Boer/Nubian cross. Since my doe is a Saanen, I am hoping to get a meatier whether and maybe some does with a higher buttermilk content. Hoping the Nubian will help with this a bit. We shall see. If I do not like the cross I can always go to the Boer next year. Maybe get a pure Nubian doe also.

You all have such nice goats. I love the curly tips on those ears!

12. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi, we got a boer/nubian cross (mother being the boer) WONDERFUL outcomes you can get. It's a chance though, some don't come out as bulky (they take the Nubian's side), luck of the draw I guess.

Mix breeds are absolutely fantastic, I want to try Kiko crossed with Alpines and/or Nubians, and see how they turn out.

This was Angus:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 7715_n.jpg

Very meaty goat, he was the size of my 5 month old Kiko/Boar cross at only 2 months old. He's 2 months in that picture. We sold him though, it seems Boar goats in my area like to loose their muscle, I have no problems with Kikos though >.>

13. rockinmranch

rockinmranch New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Ok, I am excited to see what happens with my girls, I have Nubian/Alpine doe & a Togg/Alpine doe, & am renting a Boer buck this whole month. They bred on Nov 27th, He's just hanging out to make sure.

14. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They will be really nice kids you will love them.... :thumb: :love:

very nice.... :thumb:

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was told Ithma is a Boer/Nubian cross. But I believe she is a 2nd generation because her mama was the boer/nubian and her sire was a boer buck.
    She's a really nice doe, they did try to dehorn her but her horns kept trying to grow back.. doesn't matter to us though.
    Her weight before pregnancy is around 165lbs. She's as tall as our buck.

Back when we got her at the beginning of summer
    [​IMG]

taken on 12-09 she's due on 1-1-11
    [​IMG]

With her udder already shaping up, it looks like her udder will be nicer than my boer does. This is her second pregnancy.
    [​IMG]

I like the boer/nubian crosses, and think we may keep trying to use this kind of line.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Beautiful Doe.......... :thumb: :love:

18. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    Beautiful goats everyone!!! :love: :greengrin:
    I really want to breed fullblood boers and boer/nubian crosses myself :thumbup: I get to start buying stock this coming Feb/March :wahoo: Right now, I just have some mutt dairy does... By this I mean they are a mix of 4 breeds and verying sizes :ROFL: You would never know they are all sisters :doh:
    So, I have a question for those of you who breed the boer/nubian crosses. Because boers have 4 teats and nubians have 2 teats do any of you guys breed for crosses with 4 teats? And if so, is it difficult to keep the 4 teats trait?

19. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    BOERS HAVE 4 TEATS??????

20. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hoosier you need to get Ithma out of your herd she'd be better off here. :greengrin:
    Kate, your Boer cross with the bar across her face could pass as a sister to one of mine. Beautiful of course, frosted ears and nice width.

As for teats, I've had em two & three, sometimes four on the crosses. Tho I prefer 4 they are not always working.