The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LSVF
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We just started with Boer goats a couple of months ago and noticed that one of the does have swollen udder. From what we know, she has not been pregnant or given birth recently. But her udder is getting longer and bigger. We don't know much about goats and we bought her already with udder looking.
different. Any idea if this is some kind of infection or disease? She's eating really well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
poor mama...How old is she...ever bred or never bred...Her temp?? does it feel hot ? Hard or squishy? That does not look like a good situation...a precocious udder is a udder that fills with out being pregant..usually to a maiden goat..but if this is what is happening to her she will not freshen with a nice udder and teat system I would think..

·
14,615 Posts
It almost looks like a blown udder if that's possible. I dont think it's fixable, as unattractive as it is, so long as it's not hard or hot it shouldnt affect her but I would wonder if future kids will be able to nurse?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Might need to rally work with the babies to get them on those teats...they are huge and that one very close to the ground..I have seen an udder like this once...they used the Saanen doe to nurch calves...not a very nice thing to do since calvd suck much harder than a goat...tore her udders up...she could still nurse her kids but took a week or longer of training the kids to catch on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enlarged udder

You are looking at an udder that has lost its tone. This is usually due to the udder being filled up with milk pressure which does not get released. If you breed her, the kids may be able to suckle from the teat with assistance, but no matter what....you will need to keep the udder milked out, and that pressure released. I have a doe with this condition, she has alot of milk at parturition. Milking her helps her alot. She has kidded the past 3 years, had to milk her everytime. (She looked like yours when I bought her).

·
Super Moderator
59,791 Posts
First, that is a horrible udder. Second, those teats are blown out. If you are sure that she is not pregnant, then I would milk her out and see what you get.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Old post :-d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts