boer wether?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lacy_94, Oct 8, 2007.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    I was thinking about getting 2 bottle baby boer goats billlys. I would plan on haveing them fixed at the right age and start them on getting use to pulling a wagon and packing.
    I was just wondering how much do they weigh when they are full grown ?

and are the easy to keep in fence whats the best?

2. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I think a lot would depend on their genetics. I have a boer/nubian cross that just guessing is 150 to 175 pounds. My FB Boer buck is about 200 pounds. I know some can get larger. I have read of FB Boers getting to be around 300 to 350 pounds.

3. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Oh, how exciting! I'm in the process of training my five month old Alpine wether to pull a cart. He's doing really well at learning the commands, though sometimes he doesn't want to go where I say... but I'm sure that will come in time.

As to fencing, I'd say cattle/stock/combo panels are the best, most sturdy type of fencing. My goats have never escaped from then. But if your goats will have horns you might want to use something else, as they can get their heads stuck. Field fence usually works well, but they can stand/rub on it and bend it... so you might want a hotwire or two to keep them away from the fence. I wouldn't say goats are exactly easy to contain. They jump, crawl under, strech, and crush weak fences, and can be pretty crafty about escaping. Mine know how to unlatch the gate, so I have to bungie cord it shut. But once you get a good fence they will stay in just fine. Different goats are also different about escaping. My little Nigerians are much worse about escaping than my Alpine... so it depends. Mostly you want a good sturdy fence that is at least four feet tall. Some people are fine with welded wire and t posts, but since I live right on a busy road I can't take a chance with them getting out while I'm not there.

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Here's some advice, make sure they are disbudded and never ever let them climb on you even when they are little. Especially bottle babies, because they are so bonded to you they'll do that when they're 200 lbs. Also, you might consider dairy crosses instead of FB boers because although Boers are strong some have a reputation of being a bit stubborn.

5. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    boer goat

Our wether is 3/4 boer and 1/4 alpine. We got the same mix in a doe too, but the wether is twice her size at 7 months old. He is skittish, but that may be from not being bottle fed. She was also a quad, so may explain her small size too. He came after the doe to our place, but they are cousins. I don't know if we'll try the cart, as they are supposed to be fair going animals for our children.

6. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    The FB Boer Buck I used to have weighed between 250-300lbs. so it just depends on the goat I suppose... but they are a large breed.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We use field fencing and nail 2x6 halfway up so they rub on that instead of the fence. Welded wire is a joke to Boers...they will break those welds in a matter of days standing on them. This is all recent personal experience. Don't waste your time & money with welded wire. Or graduated fencing especially if they are horned.
    None of my adults jump more than a few feet. Yes they can be stubborn. But they are also extemely calm . For me horns are part of their dignity. I have lots of briuses and ripped jeans from those things, but NEVER from aggression.
    Right now I have a leased buck out there...he was no bottle baby but is gentle as a lamb.