Boer x what?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hey guys! I know this is totally unscientific, but this is our buckling who is now 11 months old. His sire was a 100% registered boer buck and his dam was a 75% registered boer doe, making him 88% (not registered). They have no idea what the other 25% of the dam was but with his spots I thought possibly nubian? She was pure white and big, so then I thought maybe kiko because she had the kiko looking horns. This guy was the only one they ever had born on their farm with a black head (or mooon spots). :laugh:
    Now that he's older, he definitely doesn't seem to have the boer head or horns, so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion to the other 12%? He's the sire of all our babies that are coming soon.
    Thanks for any thoughts! He's unique for sure.

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is cute.... :thumb:

Hmmm...well.... :chin: with the horns.... it is a bit different than the boer... when the boer reaches a year old.... the horns... tend to start a curve dowards...it is hard to say....what the 25 % is..... but... there are spotted boers now too.... :scratch:

3. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    Yes, but not always. I have seen some that have horns like that.

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

From what you have said I would say nubian or Kiko.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like a nubian, dairy goats' horns tend to stick straight out

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I couldn't even guess, but I wanted to say that he is GORGEOUS :) I love his spots, and the black on the knees! I can't wait to see what his kids look like!

7. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    He's a cuty pie! I would guess probably Nubian, but I really dont know...

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    oooh he's getting handsome! if had meat goats i'd be sooo jealous! i dont have meat goats and i'm still kinda jealous ;)

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would say nubian but if his mom was smaller than average maybe nigi..he's a cutie whatever he is:)

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'd say nubian as well. Definately got some nubian look to him.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I would say maybe nubian. Look at those long ears!

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you everyone! He talks a LOT so nubian would make sense. :laugh: Mom wasn't small, about 170 lbs, and dad is about 300. Goliath is around 120 lbs right now and almost as tall as my adult boer girls. We'll never get rid of him because he was DH's bottle baby (I get the girls) but I'm getting a purebred boer buckling this weekend for next breeding season. Goliath will be nice company for.....David? :chin: :p
    All our boer babies may be good millkers then! :shades:

13. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am really excited to see he kids. He looks like a really good buck. I hope his kids grow as well as he has. My buck is about a year and 110lbs but he is a little shorter then your buck. Hopefully by next year he will be a big old beast. I love how big they get but I already know mine will be a handful. I already don't allow anyone else in his pen so we will see how he is when he is older. I hope he calms down some. Good luck with him and your new buck.

14. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN