The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ponder:
I have done a lot of looking around on this site, and I have heard so many things about so many feeds but never at the same time. :chin:I have heard about...
Noble goat Grower
Noble goat (maintance/non medicated)
Calf Manna
BOSS
Hay, etc...
Because I am new to this meat goat thing, I am wondering which one, or combination of these have people had the best luck with, and how much/when (ages) do you give it? I understand some are supplements to the feed. Another question that comes to mind is at what point do you stop/start feeding medicated feed?

As I said, I have Boers, and a boer buck to make hardy meat crosses. (open to suggestions on good meat breeds/crosses also) I hope to get a few Kinders this spring for milk and cheese.

Thanks for your assistance, and knowledge! :) It is much appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm not sure if you are showing or just breeding but I feed my 9 boer wethers just noble goat (we had a grass fire so no pasture for them anymore) and I have two 6 month boer doelings and they eat purina goat chow along with show bloom and essential show doe feed

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
We feed all of the above!

Everybody has their own feed plan though and I can't think of another farm who feeds the same as the other... Finding the right feed that works for your herd is a trail and error process. :)

We give Noble Goat Grower (medicated) to all of our goats... bucks, does adults and kids. Calf Manna is given for extra weight gain, so we feed that to our 0-3 month kids until sold or if we are going to keep/show them they get it all through the show season. Our lactating does or thin does who we want to get more weight on will get it as well.

Our "show goats" get Noble Goat, Calf Manna and a filler grain that's just a 12% Allstock. And free fed alfalfa.

Our bucks and does get the same feed. Noble Goat, BOSS and the 12% filler grain. They get grass hay/alfalfa mixed this time of year. Just pasture in the summer.

All of our goats get 1-2lbs of grain a day or a little less even depending on what we are wanting to do with them. :)

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are breeding for market quality. They can be shown, but more for the market. Right now (and this is just my opinion) the goats we purchased seem to be lacking muscle tone. They have big bellies, but their hind quarters, and front don't look anything like what I see from other Boer farms. I wasn't sure if there were suggestions on feeding to better this issue. Even the kids we have just seem to be lacking. (same issue as above)

·
14,615 Posts
Agilitymaster this has much to do with genetics. We cant make them long loined big boned or wide if it's not in the genes.
You can however do treadmills & run uphill & all sorts of things to help develop muscle but we've never done any of it.

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do understand that this is genetic, but our "starter" herd we bought from 4 different places, and they are all looking more and more like the same build. Big hay bellies and no muscle. I was not sure if it was something we are doing wrong in the feeding or what. This is why I thought I would try to get suggestions on feeding for our future herd. We just started raising Boers a couple of months ago. Right now they are on just a basic farm pellet. I read someplace about the different feed and was hoping to get opinions for meat market goats instead of the dairy side. I know there are different needs/requirements.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've been doing market boer wethers for a while now and I have one word, EXERCISE. We used treadmills, dogs, running them up and down our dried up pond, running laps around our pasture. They can be fed a high protein feed but if there's no exercise it's going to waste, in my opinion. I'm also breeding my does for market wethers

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have pasture time all day, but we have never tried anything else. The dog thing is a good idea. I have a border collie. Do you just have the dogs herd them around? My goats see a dog and run as far away as possible and sometimes the fences do not stop them. I will do more thinking on this.

·
14,615 Posts
Ours get a 17% feed from the time they start noticing mamas eating it & through out lactation. It is a medicated feed with a coccistat.
We also throw in a handful of BOSS with each serving.
Then free choice alfalfa & good loose minerals.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
They have pasture time all day, but we have never tried anything else. The dog thing is a good idea. I have a border collie. Do you just have the dogs herd them around? My goats see a dog and run as far away as possible and sometimes the fences do not stop them. I will do more thinking on this.
I ran my market wethers this way. On a special made dog track. Your border collie I bet would be perfect as long as she doesn't bite them any more than a nip on the heels

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She does not nip, or bite. She is a good little girly. I will try to think of something...Maybe I can leash train them and take them for walks up our old logging trail. ;)

I got a general goat mineral block for the does and buck to eat away at. As soon as I put it in with the does, they went crazy over it. I was afraid they were going to get ill and I would have to take it away. They finally calmed down over it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Of you are breeding and not showing, exercise for muscle is not really necessary. You don't keep breeding stock in the same condition as showing stock. You would loose all your profit into feed. I have a thread on this subject titled breeding or feeding. I would give you a link, but I don't know how. Some of TGS's big boer folks weighed in there so you should check it out. Save your time and money to exercise only your show stock, and maybe your meat youngsters, and keep your breeders healthy but not huge. :) I think that the big bellies are generally healthy rumens the more fiber they eat the bigger it gets. If they have pasture all day, that is probably what you are seeing. That is why show wethers get very restricted hay and pasture and more grains. They are trying to avoid that belly. However, the nature of a goat is to browse and they are supposed to have a nice round belly. :) it is goat sexiness! Your breeding stock do not have to look like the show photos you often see to be quality animals.

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some of the best photos I could get after I got done with work. It was getting dark out so some are harder to see. The buck is a Kiko. He is a year and a half old. The doelings are around 6-7 months old, and the adult doe is 3 and a half years old. The smallest doe in the photos (one I'm holding) is one of the older doelings believe it or not. Sorry they are scruffy...They like to run through the burdock and get full of them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts