The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have 2 Boers (doe and wether), 3 Nubians, 1 mixed petite dairy goat and her daughter who is half Spanish. We have noticed only the Boers like to stop and stand in front of us and block us from walking forward. :rolleyes: None of the others ever do this behavior. I am wondering is this a Boer thing or do other breeds purposely turn and stop you from walking forward too?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Pfft! ALL of my goats get in front of me when I try to do anything! :lol: it's extremely frustrating, and even mor so when I go to feed them. They all (especially the young ones) start doing ring around the rosie around me without stopping till they get their food. I'll be honest, sometimes they get a pretty good whack on the head for that behavior, but it hasn't seemed to bother them enought to make them stop. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
279 Posts
My bottle fed Alpine is horrible but all the goats get in my way all the time.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Very disrespectful! I would be tempted to carry a squirt gun or something like that to let them know that sort of bossiness won't be tolerated anymore! One of my bucklings tried that a few times, he's a ND and only 3.5 months old right now, so he's small enough that I just kept walking and plowed into him, he didnt like that, and hasn't been getting in my way since :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Audrey, that's what I do too, but my goats don't care a bit. :shrug: I don't know how they learned it, but it's not tolerated, they just refuse to learn! I always bop them on the nose if they jump up, too.
If you have any tips, I would LOVE to get mine to stop this. It's so frustrating to not be able to teach them manners.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Most of mine do it, too. I either boot them in the butt, side step them, or reinforce the behavior by stopping to scratch their ears depending what I am doing.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of my goats walk/run to the enclosure expecting a treat. But the 2 Boers just have to stop sideways in front of me. I walk around them or try to push them out of my way. So I was starting to wonder if it was a Boer thing or not. I guess maybe my Boers are just more stubborn then the others are.

What is funny is I cannot go in the direction of the goat enclosure without hearing a stampede. Yesterday I went to check on their mineral supply. I had nothing in my hands, but all of a sudden I was surrounded by disappointed goats.

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
My two Nubians will do the slow criss-cross in front of me. That's earned them a knee to the butt a few times, but it hasn't helped.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my Nubian mix is an absolute pain. she doesn't go where I want her to go, and just DOES NOT MOVE. so annoying. my alpine crosses are so much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All three girls are that way here. Nothing like wading through goats and chickens....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts