The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!!! It’s me! And it is officially time to start my own kidding thread! I’m so excited!! It feels like I’ve been waiting for years.
Soooo, I’ve got four does kidding this year, three are full Boers and one is a ND mix. I will be milking the ND, so that is a way new experience for me.
I’ll introduce everyone now:
First up is my buck, who is about to be a daddy of hopefully about 8 kids. His name is Dapple Sauce and he is four years old. He is also the most social goat I have and he loves his scratchings!
IMG_6119.jpg

Next is Marianne. She is almost five. She is a gentle soul and is the most motherly of all. But she is a tad shy. This is her 3rd (at least) kidding. She also carries her babies very low and hides them very well. I thought she had a small single last year, but it was twins!
IMG_6113.jpg
IMG_6120.jpg

Dottie is next. She is 3 years old. This is her 2nd time kidding and she did very good last year as a FF, with a single doeling. She is the wild goat and loves to get her ONE horn stuck in the fences (Unicorn goat). It’s hard to catch her without food.
IMG_6116.jpg
IMG_6117.jpg

Now is my prized girl, Biscuit. She is 4. She is a hands on goat and the biggest that I have. She is very loving and so so sweet! This will be her 1st kidding with me, but she has kidded before.
IMG_6107.jpg
IMG_6112.jpg

And last but not least is Poppy. My ND cross. She was given to me as a bottle baby and quickly turned into a loving pet. She is my sweet little baby and she is very close to my heart. Thus, I am the most worried about her since she is a FF and is 4 years old. She was bred to my big ol buck and I’m worried that the babies might be too big. So I’m staying with her every step of the way.
IMG_6100.jpg
IMG_6101.jpg

Now, this is my 2nd kidding season. I am so nervous but I’m excited! Last year didn’t go very well and I only had three babies, but two didn’t make it, leaving me one little boy.
I don’t have specific due dates on any of them. But April 22 will be five months since the buck was introduced. He has been with them since. I will be separating him when the first baby is born.
Since I don’t know due dates I’m going by udder development and ligs. But so far my guess is that it will go: Poppy, Biscuit, Marianne, and Dottie. Let’s see how close I am!
Let the games begin!
P.S. all the pictures were taken today. I’ll post more as their udders progress.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I know you are excited, its such a fun time. Wsoring for the wee ones to get here. I do hope your results are much better this year. Keep us posted and share lots of pictures!

·
Registered
692 Posts
How exciting! Poppy looks so cute. I understand your worry with her being bred to a big buck. I have bred some ND to a boer buck before, and never had any problems. Interesting thing is as generations have passed, we will still have some of our white does give birth to babies that look exactly like your Poppy. Good luck. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How exciting! Poppy looks so cute. I understand your worry with her being bred to a big buck. I have bred some ND to a boer buck before, and never had any problems. Interesting thing is as generations have passed, we will still have some of our white does give birth to babies that look exactly like your Poppy. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
Thank you. I sure hope that she will be ok and I’m just being paranoid. It will be interesting what she will think of the kids. She isn’t the most motherly goat I have. At all!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Great looking herd! I love you buck's name. I can't wait to see all the cuties!

Thank you. I sure hope that she will be ok and I’m just being paranoid. It will be interesting what she will think of the kids. She isn’t the most motherly goat I have. At all!
I actually had my does have the reverse amount of mother skill as I thought they would, so maybe she will surprise you!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... I have a feeling that the doe code is going to kick in hard this year. Poppy is definitely looking like she’ll go first, with Biscuit in close second. Poppy’s udder is bigger then everyone else’s, but she is a dairy breed FF. No goo or anything yet. Honestly I’m not sure! None of the Boer’s udder are very big yet.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts