The Goat Spot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Ok so I’m not sure if y’all can suggest anything for this or if it is just genetics, but Mariannes kids both last year and this year aren’t growing as fast as the other kids. They are staying kinda skinny although they are definitely getting plenty to eat. They were kinda weak the first week but have now gotten better and started jumping. But they do sleep more then the others. Is this just a genetic problem? Is there anything I can do to help them grow faster? If not I’m considering selling Marianne this year if her kids aren’t going to do as well as the others.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Ok I just dosed them with vitamins and selenium. The more I think about it the more that I get the feeling that they aren’t getting enough to eat. I’m milking Poppy right now so I’ll give them 8 oz of her milk via bottle this evening and see if their hungry.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Ok I’m calling on all the wonderful people here at TGS. First let me say that on Monday I’m leaving for a week long trip. I assumed everything would be ok as all the babies are healthy and eating.
Today I noticed that Marianne’s doelings weren’t acting like the others. They were slow and just laid in the corner of the pen. Something was clearly wrong. So I first assumed that maybe they needed a boost. So I gave them a omega 3 vitamin/energy drench and selenium to help their weakness. That perked them up quite a bit. Then they crashed again.
I have been milking Poppy so I fixed them up a bottle and took it out there. They drank about 2 oz each (very unwillingly I might add). As I was about to walk back to the house I saw them chasing Marianne around and around the pen trying their hardest to nurse.
I quickly tied up Marianne and held her leg up and watch in horror as the kids drank like little maniacs. They were starving. And Marianne wanted nothing to do with letting them nurse. They sucked her dry.
I need help. I have no choice but to go on this trip next week. Somehow I have to get them nursing by next Monday (exactly a week from now). Please help!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok I’m calling on all the wonderful people here at TGS. First let me say that on Monday I’m leaving for a week long trip. I assumed everything would be ok as all the babies are healthy and eating.
Today I noticed that Marianne’s doelings weren’t acting like the others. They were slow and just laid in the corner of the pen. Something was clearly wrong. So I first assumed that maybe they needed a boost. So I gave them a omega 3 vitamin/energy drench and selenium to help their weakness. That perked them up quite a bit. Then they crashed again.
I have been milking Poppy so I fixed them up a bottle and took it out there. They drank about 2 oz each (very unwillingly I might add). As I was about to walk back to the house I saw them chasing Marianne around and around the pen trying their hardest to nurse.
I quickly tied up Marianne and held her leg up and watch in horror as the kids drank like little maniacs. They were starving. And Marianne wanted nothing to do with letting them nurse. They sucked her dry.
I need help. I have no choice but to go on this trip next week. Somehow I have to get them nursing by next Monday (exactly a week from now). Please help!
I’m so sorry! 😞 I feel so bad for those poor kids. Has the mom rejected them, completely? Or is she just not letting them nurse or touch her?
Does she had teat problems?
And is this her first time nursing kids?
I have a goat who has a very similar problem, and I just milked her until she stopped kicking. Of course, I saved the milk just for the babies.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I’m so sorry! I feel so bad for those poor kids. Has the mom rejected them, completely? Or is she just not letting them nurse or touch her?
Does she had teat problems?
And is this her first time nursing kids?
I have a goat who has a very similar problem, and I just milked her until she stopped kicking. Of course, I saved the milk just for the babies.
I don’t think Marianne has rejected them completely. But she will not let them nurse. She has no teat problems that I can tell and nothing is red or swollen and the milk looks just fine. This is her 3rd maybe 4th time kidding so she is definitely not a newbie.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don’t think Marianne has rejected them completely. But she will not let them nurse. She has no teat problems that I can tell and nothing is red or swollen and the milk looks just fine. This is her 3rd maybe 4th time kidding so she is definitely not a newbie.
And she hasn’t had this problem before? Straaaaaaange. 🤔 I can’t think of anything that might help other than maybe you should milk her a bit. Keep the milk and nurse the kids with it. Sorry I don’t know what else to do...

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
How old are the kids? Anything change like a disbudding? I would definitely qork on getting them on the bottle just in case. I would continue to hold mom..let her smell babies hiney..then nurse..then smell hiney again. Maybe it will trigger her mothering back in. Have whoever is going to keep watch on everyone come over and be shown what to look for...how to hold mom, and bottle if needed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
And she hasn’t had this problem before? Straaaaaaange. I can’t think of anything that might help other than maybe you should milk her a bit. Keep the milk and nurse the kids with it. Sorry I don’t know what else to do...
Well her kids last year were weak also and one didn’t make it due to worms/cocci. Thank you I’m sure someone else will chime in soon.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
How old are the kids? Anything change like a disbudding? I would definitely qork on getting them on the bottle just in case. I would continue to hold mom..let her smell babies hiney..then nurse..then smell hiney again. Maybe it will trigger her mothering back in. Have whoever is going to keep watch on everyone come over and be shown what to look for...how to hold mom, and bottle if needed.
They will turn 2 weeks on Thursday. Nothing has happened. No change and no environment switch. Nothing. I don’t understand why she is not letting them nurse. I’ll continue to hold mom and make her feed them for the next week. Maybe she’ll go ahead and except them again.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Check their teeth as well...if they are sharp...that hurts mom and she won't let them nurse. A gentle filing can help smooth that out

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,528 Posts
Are you sure they've been rejected? Are their tummies empty? Have they lost any weight (that is if you knew their weight before).

I saw what I thought was rejection behavior from my doe Bella with her kids at a certain age and all it turned out to be was they were trying to drink from her too often and she was just saying no. She would let them drink, but not all the time. That's actually a good trait to have it a doe.

Definitely check their teeth. I think that may have had something to do with Prim rejecting her buckling, Yuma, but I found that out too late.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts