The Goat Spot Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Are you sure they've been rejected? Are their tummies empty? Have they lost any weight (that is if you knew their weight before).

I saw what I thought was rejection behavior from my doe Bella with her kids at a certain age and all it turned out to be was they were trying to drink from her too often and she was just saying no. She would let them drink, but not all the time. That's actually a good trait to have it a doe.

Definitely check their teeth. I think that may have had something to do with Prim rejecting her buckling, Yuma, but I found that out too late.
You know, I’m not sure if she has rejected them or not. As long as she is preoccupied with food then she couldn’t care less if they nurse. But after holding her last night they were acting completely normal just like all the other kids, jumping and playing, this morning. So this morning I held her again and they sucked her dry. Yesterday their bellies were empty.

Weigh them daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds.
Their birth weight was 8.40 lbs and 7.00 lbs. At 1 wk old they were 10.65 lbs and 9.95 lbs. I’ll weigh them again and see. But Marianne’s kids last year didn’t grow as well as the others either, so it might be a genetic problem.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Well I saw Marianne nursing her kids earlier! They are up and being normal bouncy babies. Thanks everyone. I guess she needed a reboot or something on her mothering skills.
In other news, I have sold Samwise! Some friends of ours had to sell a aggressive lamancha buck. So they were looking for a new one, and they asked me and I told them about Poppy’s buckling and they liked Samwise. They are buying him after he is weaned at the end of July! Yay!
Since Samwise is being sold I am keeping Frodo as a companion goat. And I know it’s sad but I have renamed him Thorin instead of Frodo. I think it just rolls off the tongue better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
So glad Marianne and the kids are doing well! And congrats on selling Samwise (it’s even better when the sale is to a trusted friend). And he’ll always be Frodo to me. Lol, just kidding. No matter his name, he is such a lovely goat.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,528 Posts
Well I saw Marianne nursing her kids earlier! They are up and being normal bouncy babies. Thanks everyone. I guess she needed a reboot or something on her mothering skills.
In other news, I have sold Samwise! Some friends of ours had to sell a aggressive lamancha buck. So they were looking for a new one, and they asked me and I told them about Poppy’s buckling and they liked Samwise. They are buying him after he is weaned at the end of July! Yay!
Since Samwise is being sold I am keeping Frodo as a companion goat. And I know it’s sad but I have renamed him Thorin instead of Frodo. I think it just rolls off the tongue better.
Okay this is so funny. Me and my sister are HUGE Middle Earth fans and my favorite character is Frodo and my sister's is Thorin. 😆

Glad you're keeping Thorin-Frodo 😄

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Ok new problem. Thorin has diarrhea. Today I started his five day coccidia prevention treatment with Corid. If it is coccidia will that treat it? He is definitely not feeling too great. Still nursing but just kinda lounging around.

·
Registered
489 Posts
View attachment 208550

Can you believe I got all the kids in one picture?! Whoa! The one in the back was in mid jump so she is blurry but here is all seven of them!
AHHHHH!!!!! they are so friggin cute! thats so hilarious that you got them all in one shot, even if that one in the back is jumping. lol 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Thorin is 6 weeks old and he has started to try and breed the females. I was going to wait until he was 8 weeks to band him but he is already extending! Is it ok to go ahead and band him? Will that cause future problems?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You can use a buck apron, and some people here have used onesies for aprons for bucklings. I know @GoofyGoat did, maybe she can tell you more. Or else you can seperate him with a buddy and let him see mom to nurse 2 or 3 times a day.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts