The Goat Spot Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Sorry I missed this! Yes, I use a onesie, I just cut it down so the diaper flap hangs down in front and it’s worked really well so far. In fact I have a buckling wearing one right now so he can stay with mom while sister is inside with a broken leg.
Thank you! He turned 7 weeks today. It is very hot right now so I’m not sure if a onesie is the best choice. I think I’m going to go ahead and band him this weekend. I’ve done some research I think it’ll be ok.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Aw, poor little guy. I always hate having to do it but sometimes you just have to. Just remember he’s still able to breed for up to a couple weeks post banding. It takes a while for all the swimmers to quit swimming 🐐

BTW, I LOVE his name! I’m a very dedicated Tolkien nerd and it’s a great name for your handsome boy!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Poor little guy. He’s so cute. He’ll be bouncing around again in no time.

Thank you! He turned 7 weeks today. It is very hot right now so I’m not sure if a onesie is the best choice. I think I’m going to go ahead and band him this weekend. I’ve done some research I think it’ll be ok.
Sorry if this derails things, but this got me researching because everything I have read was not recommending banding until around 12 weeks. Then I found a few tidbits here and there that said, no, do it earlier like around his age now, because it’s easier on them and UC is about diet and not the age you band. Is this what you found in your research? You don’t have to go into detail, I’m just curious. I don’t even have boys here and won’t for a while but I like to learn as much as possible before the decision time comes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
BTW, I LOVE his name! I’m a very dedicated Tolkien nerd and it’s a great name for your handsome boy!
Thank you! I’m a total Tolkien nerd too. I had to name him something good since I’m keeping him. Thorin is a tough strong name. Perfect for a buck companion! His brother’s name is Samwise.

Sorry if this derails things, but this got me researching because everything I have read was not recommending banding until around 12 weeks. Then I found a few tidbits here and there that said, no, do it earlier like around his age now, because it’s easier on them and UC is about diet and not the age you band. Is this what you found in your research? You don’t have to go into detail, I’m just curious. I don’t even have boys here and won’t for a while but I like to learn as much as possible before the decision time comes.
Not at all! I’m happy to share! What I found is that 7-8 weeks is the absolute minimum you can castrate.
I also think that it’s based on size too. If he was a lot smaller then I would probably hold off until he was ten weeks or so. But since he is over 20 lbs and is keeping track with the Boer kids even though he’s half dwarf, I decided that he should handle it fine.
Another thing to consider IMO is health. I would never have banded him if he was in poor condition or sick at all. But he’s a little chunk, so I figure he would take it well.
Also the original plane was to band at 8-9 weeks. I think that is the normal banding time. But he was trying to breed everything in sight! He isn’t tall enough yet to breed the mamas, and the doelings are still too young. But none of that will last very much longer!
So I guess I’m just trying to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I agree. 6 to 8 weeks is as early as I would go. They need some testosterone to build muscle mass and bone. Besides the obvious reason to band. I can understand your dilemma. Sounds like you did just.fine. Pleas check on him daily. Watch for fever or foul smell. Usually no problems, but its best to be cautious.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not at all! I’m happy to share! What I found is that 7-8 weeks is the absolute minimum you can castrate.
I also think that it’s based on size too. If he was a lot smaller then I would probably hold off until he was ten weeks or so. But since he is over 20 lbs and is keeping track with the Boer kids even though he’s half dwarf, I decided that he should handle it fine.
Another thing to consider IMO is health. I would never have banded him if he was in poor condition or sick at all. But he’s a little chunk, so I figure he would take it well.
Also the original plane was to band at 8-9 weeks. I think that is the normal banding time. But he was trying to breed everything in sight! He isn’t tall enough yet to breed the mamas, and the doelings are still too young. But none of that will last very much longer!
So I guess I’m just trying to be safe then sorry.
Great explanation. Thank you! Sounds like you made the right choice.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts