The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been burning brush in my goat pen since I started clearing the pasture. In doing so, I have stumbled upon a few tricks that I find are extremely beneficial.

1) Because I burn the brush and often have company, snacks and beer while I am burning, I found that this is a perfect time to practice camp manners. The goats are always fine when its just me but teaching them to be "chill" when other people are there and have snacks in their hands has always been a challenge. I think the excitement of being in a new place and the temptation of treats was just too much. It was chaos. Now after a summer of burning brush and practicing manners the boys are SO MUCH BETTER. They still look at us with wanting eyes, but they dont mug my company anymore.

2) CHARCOAL ! The first few times I burned in the goat pen, I stayed until the fire smoldered out. It really didn't leave much in the way of charcoal, it mostly left ash. I did notice that my boys (and girls) liked to dig up and chew the burned chunks of wood they could find though. One time I put the fire out using a hose and it left behind a big pile of charcoal. THE BOYS LOVED IT. They chewed the coal pieces until most the pile was either gone or stepped on. I even had one goat dust bathe in it. Since they have had this access to free choice charcoal, they boys are looking great. I would like to think that the health benefits of this are many but I will be even more curious to how this will effect my milk next year. I also have an unproven theory that this regular diet of charcoal my give them a "Hoof Up" on toxins, should they encounter them.

3)The bonding time is second to none!

I would recommend goat pen campfires anytime.

·
Banned
849 Posts
Cuzco has always loved campfires, but he's never been interested in the charcoal. When he was little I would always hold him in my lap when we were at a campfire. He was soft and cozy and I didn't want to put him down. Then he got too big for me to hold, but for a long time whenever we built a campfire (no other time for some reason), Cuzco would still try to climb up in my lap. I guess he thought I was warm and cozy too!

While I did finally break him of that habit (thank goodness!), he still comes over and leans in close or lays down by my chair where I can conveniently stroke his ears and scratch his itchy spots. And he loves hot dog buns and and s'mores. But I have to feed those away from the fireside so he doesn't learn to shamelessly beg and root through our stuff. Cuzco also loves it when Phil plays his fiddle at the campfire. He stands right in front of Phil and stares up at him, totally mesmerized. Ever since we got Cuzco, I've felt that no campfire is truly complete without a goat.
[attachment=0:3prigrs7]Cuzco_Bonfire.jpg[/attachment:3prigrs7]

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.