Bones has pneumonia

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, May 18, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well......as some of you know I have been dealing with a sick little goat that I brought home about 2wks ago.....We went back to the vet today and saw our regular vet, which I truly respect........Bones has the start of pneumonia in his right lung, he did not respond to the antibiotics that he was given by the other vet, so he is now on a different one that is in a different class...called Draxxin, vet is very concerned and is holding on to hope that he will respond to this new one.......Also, Bones and my other little goat were on Corid for cocci, well it did not work, so he has put them both on Albon for 7 days. He also had me treat all of my boys with something called TSV II, hubby and I had to administer that up their noses, vet is trying to make sure that none of my other guys come down with this.......I feel horrible about this, that I brought this onto my farm and have exposed my other guys.......vet told me that this breeder sold me a very sick little goat.....that he has had this for sometime, this is not a new illness....he says with any luck he will not have scaring from this in his lungs. He has advised me to be very clean with the pens right now (cleaning them everyday) and to sanitize my hands between handling each goat....or at least between pens. The next course of action is to do what he called a throat wash, they shoot a saline solution down his throat and then suck it back up and run test on it......I guess it is costly and not a fun event for my little guy, if he doesn't respond quickly to the new antibiotic then we will have to do it.....he said then they can tell exactly what kind of germ/virus we are dealing with. Oh, one other thing....you seasoned goat owners might already know this, but Bones ran a fever when we first realized he was really sick and then the last several days it has been back to normal and we thought he must be getting somewhat better.......well my vet told me today that they will run a fever when the illness first gets bad, but then as the illness progresses it will level out back to normal.
    Thanks all that have given me loads of advice and info, Denise

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Awww! *hugs* I'm sorry to hear that your little one is ill. Will the breeder do anything about it?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise.....wow..poor goaties and you......... :hug:

you have been trying for a very long time.... to solve his problem.......... :hug:

I am glad ....that you took him into the vet and he xrayed his chest.....and confirmed it was pneumonia......I pray that the Draxxin......cures him.......at least the vet says there is hope ....that is good.... :hug:

I am so sorry... that the Corid didn't work....to treat cocci...... I also pray that the Albon works....

I pray that the TSV II helps...

with buying animals at auctions.... you never know .....what your going to get.. :( ...I am sorry you got a sick baby.........But I am praying :pray: that everything works out for you and your goates.... :pray: ....Don't be hard on yourself......you didn't know..... :hug:

wow.... throat wash.... that is strange to run a test? I never heard that before....
    wow ...no ....I didn't know that......thanks for sharing......

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Pam....I did not buy Bones from an auction, I bought him from a very well known breeder in my area.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Throat washes are not fun, and not very successful in goats usually.

I will be praying for your boy. :hug: :hug:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry Denise....... :doh: :hug:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    RunAround, my vet did say that they are not always successful, that is why he is not trying it as of yet......I guess he is thinking as a last resort to try and figure out exactly what we are dealing with germ/virus wise.

Hey Pam....No big deal, but me personally would never buy from an auction......heck, I bought from a reputable breeder and still came home with a sick goat :doh: !

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the vet. I've just seen it done on a dog and I felt bad for the poor thing. But I understand the need to get a sample of the bacteria if he dosen't improve.

Sad thing is that it isn't all that uncommon to come home with a sick goat from a "reputable" breeder. I've learned my lessons and will only purchase from small herds from now on. Not that all big name breeders are bad. I've been to good and bad big name breeders.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise...... that is ...so sad.. you got a sick little one......from a reputable breeder ...... :(

I am glad you don't buy from an auction.........I sympathize with you.......and wish I could help cure your goaties.......I will pray for them ....and you.....you have to be.... so stressed out... by now... :hug: :pray:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey RunAround.....I didn't at all take it that you were saying anything bad about my vet.......I really hope we don't have to do it, I would just hate putting the poor guy through that.

I know your right about who you buy from, I just really thought of all breeders I would get a healthy one from this person......but it is my fault, I knew he was not well when I went to p/u....I should have walked away....I let my heart talk for me and Hubby didn't help!

Pam.....No I'm not stressed out, I'm pass stressed....just sad. We also have some personal issues going on with one of our daughters......so it is just not good here right now, but it shall all pass.
    Thanks for your caring words, Denise

11. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    Denise, so sorry to hear about your little guy ... hope he has a quick recovery. Hang in there :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so sorry you are dealing with this and the other medication didnt work. I still think LA 200 would have been your best bet previously.....but lets hope this new stuff works.

As to the breeder - one thing I suggest is talking to them and telling them what you are dealing with, not to blame them but to alert them so they can be on the look out and treating their goats. Even reputable breeders arent always sure what is up in their herd when a goat gets sick. I am sure they just thought as I did when you first mentioned the snots and cough, that it was a simple cold and would run its course.

I would like to consider myself someone with a good reputation --- but last year I had a huge cocci outbreak and even lost a kid! :GAAH:

Not saying you were blaming the breeder - just figured they might appreciate the heads up from the information you have learned.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome Denise.... :hug:
    You have a big heart Denise........don't ever think you did a bad thing or anything wrong....even if you knew the baby was sick.... they can pull at our heart strings.....you'll get through this ....and I pray for you ...and your family.... in whatever is happening ....and all the sadness in your life.......I am so sorry ....you are having so much trouble.......I will pray for your daughter......to :hug: :pray: Hang in there...... :hug: :pray:
    Pam

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry Denise..but at least now you know exactly what the problem is and hopefully the right meds will heal him.

I do agree that it would be wise to send the breeder a friendly heads up....or even a phone call, as Stacey said, they likely figured as we all did at first that it was just a cold and would run it's course, making contact with her may even save a few more kids.

I hope the Albon does the trick for ridding them of the cocci.
    I'll be praying for Bones as well as you and your family. :hug:

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Stacey......yes, you may have been right about the LA200....I guess I was just trying to do the right thing and listen to the vet......but as they say "hindsight is 20/20."

About the breeder, I did call her when I first realized he was so sick and she just blew it off......she was a very nice person, but she said this is just what happens when transporting goats. I'm more mad at myself for going through with the purchase then I am at her.......she very well might not have realized he was so sick, they had 30 babies born the week before I pick Bones up.....I know she was very busy. I will email her and let her know what is going on.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Couldn't this be pasturella then? Or no? Maybe see if your vet can do a nasal swab? Her whole herd could have pasturella. . . I am thinking it is a lot more common than people say.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise .....how are your goats doing? :hug:

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well, the boys are still dealing with this horrible virus, I had to take Murphy into the vet today....he started running fever and is coughing, so he had to get injection for that. Vet said his lungs actually sound good. How he explained this to me is Bones probably had the beginnings of this when we brought him home and with the stress of new home it got worse and his went into pneumonia, it is a type of pasturella, vet told me there are like 4 different kinds.....what my boys have is viral, meaning that it has to run it's course...now Bones is being treated for pneumonia/ he went to long without treatment and added stresses caused the secondary infection.....we are monitoring them very close, vet wants them both back in his office Tuesday morning, unless they get worse and then he will come out sooner.....I really believe my vet is doing everything he can. He isn't even charging me for office visits at this point. This has been a nightmare to say the least. I am spending most of my time in the barn, cleaning pens and giving meds, taking temps. Thank goodness my older boys have not came down with it. Vet has us sanitizing our hands between handling the goats. Through this all neither boy has loss their appetite, they are still eating and drinking....they are even pooping normal...still curious and interested in what is going on.....they don't seem to want to go outside much.....I think their pen is their safety net.
    Well, time to check temps...thanks for checking in on them Pam...... Denise

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww, so Bones gave it to your other little boys too? I hope he pulls through with this. It sounds like your vet is trying really hard to help you. Some vets are not much help, and it's hard to find a good one sometimes.

Keep in touch and let us know how he's doing.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...you are very welcome..............so sorry they are still having troubles....still praying for them.......and you to..... :hug: :pray: