Bonnie aborting question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MadCatX, Jan 24, 2021.

1. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Gang,
    Unfortunately Bonnie began aborting earlier, she gave "birth" to a sac with what appears to be a softball size sac.

She doesn't seem to be contracting anymore but she has this mass hanging out.

Question: she will not let us really help her but do we need to try to get it out. Or would it be better to letter her expel it. She seems to be fine other than this.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It is not safe to just pull it out. You could make her bleed. See how far or long she lets it hang. Give her vit b complex and maybe some banemine. Some mollases water. If she eats well keep her well watered and fed. If the sac keeps hanging then maybe let the vet ultrasound to check if there are no complications.

3. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Hi MadCatX, (console)So sorry to hear about Bonnie. The mass might be the placenta passing. If this is the case, would be best to let her pass it naturally. Give her some warm molasses water and just keep an eye out. Usually there is a waiting period before another kid and/or the after birth, and the contractions begin again. Talk to the vet if the mass won't pass on it's own.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of the kid. Sending healing thoughts to Bonnie. (console)

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Is it amber colored? Make sure you cant see any hooves in there. Can you lube up..glove up..and place a finger inside of her to see what you feel?

MadHouse and MadCatX like this.
  6. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    No hooves..they appear very very early. 10-4 gonna keep an eye out on her

7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    awwww i am sorry! Some calcium ricch food might help her contract stronger to get it cleaned out. Or human calcium gummies. It might take a few hours for her to expel everything. Selenium comes to mind with this type of thing happening.

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @MadCatX I’m so sorry this is happening with Bonnie! Sending prayers to you both.
    I agree that calcium and selenium are a good idea but you can also feed her red raspberry leaves or give her some strong red raspberry tea cooled and drenched with some honey.

9. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Thank you on the calcium rich foods going to check it ojt.

10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that. :hug:
    Hope she will pass it soon.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice, hope she drops it soon.

A vet would be good.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do you know why she aborted? Got rammed, sick, etc? You might want to determine if Chlamadia could be to blame. A course of LA-200 for her and the buck may be called for- your vet would be the best one for that decision.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  13. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Can you post a picture of what is hanging out? When you refer to it as a mass, it makes me found if it’s a prolapse.

14. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    So just to update everyone ( and thanks for all the advice).
    She passed the mass and is back to normal. No real issues.
    I would venture a guess that maybe Clyde stressed her out. I am not sure. I am going to have a vet out for their over all check ups.

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know. Let us know what the vet says

16. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It was really too early to be clamydia. The pregnancy was probably just not viable.
    Sometimes the body is just too acidic to bear.
    I'm already seeing the problems that molasses laced grain causes on a few threads.

17. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Yeah, I mean we had two dates where I was pretty sure she took, 11/22 and 11/28. Im just not as seasoned as most so its like...man jeez, but I told the wife and old man. Hang on, I know where to go, and I was right. :) thanks yall :)

18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Sorry for your loss. Please keep us informed on how Bonnie is and what the Vet says.

MadCatX and MadHouse like this.
  19. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry that happened! Glad she is acting normal now.
    It seems a lot of people are reporting about breeding difficulties this season, whether it is does not taking or abortions.

MadCatX and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I always wonder if it isn't the feed we are all feeding- Spring was wet, summer so-so etc. Maybe something is lacking-around here a lot of people had trouble with breeding (no heats until Nov or Dec) and lackluster ruts, etc. A lot of poor body condition. Of course the vets are of no help with nutrition and such- they have no interest in learning, either...