The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No questions are ever stupid. Did some research just now, Merck, Tennessee Meat Goat, Ag Ext and a few others. Best that I can understand, Chlamydia germs (multiple strain types) causes other things in addition to abortions; like pink eye as an example. It can be transmitted by bird, cat and other animals from their droppings and the organism leeching onto the ground and/or coming into contact with surfaces and same type animal.

Goats (male and female) can be carriers without any signs showing (symptomless). It can become contagious to other goats through coming into contact with food sources contaminated by waste droppings, birthing fluids and such. Similar to worms hatching and climbing up grass stalks and the grass being eaten as a food source.

In people it is sexually transmitted, though I could not find solid evidence of it being sexually transmitted in animals.

It can be treated with LA200 and giving injections to the doe prior to breeding, helps with aborting issues.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
For the first time in 37 years of goat raising, I have 3 does who are not taking. All 3 seem to be cystic. I am also having issues with the water being excessively hard for the first time since I moved here in 1997. I blame the drought.

It's been a really bad year for a lot of goat owners.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
@NigerianNewbie
Now separate the 3 different types of Clamydia that goats get and look up chlamydial abortion.
Chlamydiosis (Enzootic Abortion) is the most common cause of abortion in goats. Abortions can occur at any stage of pregnancy, but most are in the last month. Reproductive failure is usually the only sign of C abortus (formally know as C psittaci serotype 1) infection, but occasionally there is concurrent respiratory disease, polyarthritis, conjunctivitis and retained placentas.

Aborting does should be isolated, and antimicrobials Tretracylines or Fluoroquinolones given orally or parentally are generally the drugs of choice. Treatment must be started as early as possible and continued for 7 days. It is recommended a veterinary be involved with dosage amounts. On a side note, no antibiotic treatment for chlamydiae is bactericidal. It is suspected that antibiotics frequently induce persistent chlamydial infections by reducing immunity while not completely eliminating chlamydiae.

Sheep that abort due to C abortus remain infected for years, if not life and shed the organism during ovulation. Whether this occurs in goats is not know. It appears the organism is activated during the heat cycle and could probably be contracted by the male during coitus.

There is no Chlamydia Vaccine for goats, but the vaccine for sheep is relatively effective. Therapeutic vaccine may provide substantial health and economic benefits. To prevent abortion in small ruminants, C abortus live vaccines are available. There is an ongoing and controversial discussion whether the vaccine strain might even be involved in enzootic abortion.

C abortus is zoonotic, occasionally causing abortion and fetal death in pregnant women after transmission from goats or sheep.

Sources: Merck vet manual * abortion in goats/overview of chlamydiosis

21 - 30 of 30 Posts