The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my goat, a 3 year old Alpine, has developed what appears to be calcified growth on her ribs, right behind the shoulder area. Has anyone ever dealt with this? It doesn't appear to get in her way but was wondering if it was alluding to a bigger problem?

Thanks for all your help!

·
2,203 Posts
Hi everyone, my goat, a 3 year old Alpine, has developed what appears to be calcified growth on her ribs, right behind the shoulder area. Has anyone ever dealt with this? It doesn't appear to get in her way but was wondering if it was alluding to a bigger problem?

Thanks for all your help!
Sometimes they grow tumors too, just like people. Could be a tumor.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
My old girl ended up with a hard mass on her ribs a year ago, I figured it was her age and something that just happens when the years add up but I found it to be from a younger doe that horned her, the mass has all but disappeared so is it possible that your doe may have been injured by another or rubbed against something ?

·
Registered
31,018 Posts
A picture woukd be very helpful

·
2,203 Posts
It could be a calcium deposit. Happens as well!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Its very common for a dairy goat to get that. Are you feeding good quality alfalfa? The extra calcium in that is what I always suspected it was.

I think they might call it a milk rib... Ill have to ask my other half.

·
2,203 Posts
Its very common for a dairy goat to get that. Are you feeding good quality alfalfa? The extra calcium in that is what I always suspected it was.

I think they might call it a milk rib... Ill have to ask my other half.
I've heard that term used quite a bit actually.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am feeding a second cutting grass hay that is very green and leafy. If it is a calcium deposit, what is the best way to alter her diet so that it doesn't get worse? I have tried offering first cutting timothy and the goats refuse to touch it...don't even trash it, it looks exactly as I left it twelve hours later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts