Books I've known since childhood.

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by ReNat, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
    Me and my family very likes resilient girl, which in difficult living circumstances, found exit from these provisions, simple with the thought, "this all for the better."

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder are a classic.

healthyishappy, 21goaties and ReNat like this.

3. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    I've heard that this book is recognized as racist. Маленький дом в прерии.jpg

4. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    We also like, of the Anglo-Saxon writers, Clive Staples Lewis, the lion, the witch and the wardrobe, return to Narnia...

And you Americans, what is your cultural Outlook? I understand that in childhood we did not have the right to choose what we read or offered our parents, we are obliged to fulfill, but growing up we have the right to spiritual growth and it now depends on us.

healthyishappy likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Seriously? Never heard that. I grew up able to read books I was interested in. There was required reading in school but also the freedom to read what you wanted.

6. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I just finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia to my younger siblings. I think I have read them three times now.

ReNat likes this.
  7. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    Totally a fav! read them all the time!
    Same! Except I don't read to my sibs!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Active Member

May 6, 2019
    Massachusetts, USA
    @ReNat and @ksalvagno by today’s standards Laura Ingall’s Wilder is considered, by academics in certain fields, to be racist. This is about the specific language usage (Native Americans being referred to as savages, African Americas as negros) as well as the mentality of distrust and superiority that the characters posses. They were written in the 1930’s and 40s by a white American woman.

I think the academic dilemma is, are the books racist as in: we can’t expose them to children? Or as in: a product of their times? OR: is it epistemologically sound to apply contemporary knowledges to historical ephemera? In other words: Little House on The Prairie was written in the 30s using the language and culture of the 30s which by today’s standard is racist. As there were characters that questioned the mentality of the Native America-as-savage (Laura and, if I recall correctly, a school teacher and a friend or family member who was a trapper) is it actually progressive for its time?

Lol, sorry. Hi, I’m Li-Ming finishing my BA in sexual violence prevention and children’s Literature.

My favorite picture books are:
    - Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak
    - Wild, Wild, Sunflower Child Anna by Nancy White Carlstrom
    - The Tale I told Sasha by Nancy Willard
    - City Dig, Country Frog by Mo Willems

Young chapter books:
    - Woundabout by Lev AC Rosen
    - Roald Dahl books, particularly The Witches and The BFF
    - Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Talylor
    - Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott o’Dell
    - My Side of the Mountain by Jeans craighead George
    - Julie of the Wolves also Jean Craighead George (this book could also be considered culturally insensitive and Island of the Blue Dolphins probably too)

YA novels:
    - Gabi a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero
    - The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer LOVE LOVE LOVE but the sequel is less good
    - The Ear, The Eye and The Arm also by nancy farmer
    - More Happy Than Not by Adam Silva

*deep breath* but I could go on and in and on

Not a children’s book, but my all time favorite book is The Cider House Rules by John Irving

ReNat likes this.
  9. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    Wow you as interestingly and many books you read!

Also known to many Lyman Frank Baum and his book " the Amazing wizard of Oz»
    As children we read Jack London, his books, White Fang; Martin Eden; Sea Wolf...

Today, when I am a father myself, I am a censor for my children and if in old books there is an expression "pale-faced, savage or black-skinned", I explain to children the meaning of expressions.

Dwarf Dad and happybleats like this.
  10. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    These too! Are such great books!

ReNat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    A long time ago I met Melissa Gilbert, the actor of Laura Ingalls. She’s so sweet! Little House on The Prairie was such a sweet show.

Oh and Narnia, my dog’s name is Aslan... because of his Lion’s mane. We love Narnia here!!

Iluvlilly!, healthyishappy and ReNat like this.
  12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Little House on the Prairie was and is an all time favorite around here. I have raised 8 kids on these books along with many others that in todays mindset would be viewed as racist.
    And this is how to handle it when our children read these books..parents talk to their children. While many phrases are no longer agreeable, it does not mean we shelter our children but rather educate them. "The Whipping Boy" offered many long talks with my kids. If we were to avoid all books that offended in some way, then many many very good novels would not be read. My daughter read Tom Sawyer when she was a young teen. She took a pencil and marked every potty word that was said so her siblings could read it LOL. Early stages of censoring LOL

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :nod::up: I agree.

The world can be unfair to the past, as that was the way things were and history of what was. I don't agree with some of the wording, but, we must not erase the past. Novels/history, should never be changed. From a book, to a statue ect. It is history.

Children need to learn right from wrong and communication helps a great deal of understanding. Past and present.

Like our own private past and history of our lives, we live in the now and so did our parents and grandparents. Of what was dealt to us, in books/life.

Little house on the prairie tv show was a good show. I grew up watching them.

Times have changed a lot.
    And all people, should be respected, no matter who they are.