BOOM! And there goes my goat business...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CrazyBear, Aug 10, 2011.

1. CrazyBear

CrazyBear New Member

My first two kids I that came 3 weeks ago? Get home today, and they are GONE!!!!! :hair: :veryangry: :angry: :GAAH: :scratch: :( :shocked: :sigh:

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

There are now several very large hawks that keep flying over my goat pasture I don't remember seeing before. They were 3 weeks old, thought they were big enough, guess not.

Oh MY GOD!!!!!

I got another doe about to kid any day now, and 3 more pregnant, what the hell am I going to do?!?!?

Guess I should just call it quit's and forget being a goat farmer?

Either that, or throw a white stuffed animal out into the pasture, and wait in hiding till the hawks come down to snatch it and BLOW THEM AWAY!!!!!!

I'm literately shaking with rage right now....

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you sure the hawks took them? Ive heard of people actually taking the goats out of pastures - happend not long ago to a TGS member!

What we suggested she do worked:

First contact your local authorities,
    post on CL and other places (like FB and such) noting they are stolen
    Contact local auctions
    put up missing posters everywhere you can

Hopefully if taken by people they will be returned to you as our other member had done

3. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Whoa!! We have a lot of hawks in our area, but I have yet to lose any kids to one.... You could always try the go ol' "shoot, shovel, shut up" method of dealing with them, if the hawks really are the problem. You're sure it wasn't coyotes? I know they will strike during the day as willingly as at night (speaking from experience).

Don't give up on the goat business just yet; let the smoke cool, and then pick things back up and try again.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How awful....I too would do as Stacey suggested.

I know you are upset Crazy Bear....I edited your post of the "off color" word, I totally understand why you chose to use it but others may not. :hug:

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Good golly, that's awful. These are Boers right? I've never heard of a hawk taking TWO. Most likely, if they even took a goat kid that age and size, they'd take one and then fight over who gets what.
    I wouldn't rule out other causes yet.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think hawk could pick them up. I have a ton that circle my place, but you never know. I am always cautious with the new babies going outside... and if I could I would do the shoot, bury and shut it method just to be safe. lol

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Depends how small....Ive seen with my own eyes, a hawk swoop and grab a baby nigi! He dropped the baby quickly but still picked the poor thing up!

8. mtmom75

mtmom75 New Member

May 19, 2011
    Oh no that's horrible! I'm so sorry. :(

9. CrazyBear

CrazyBear New Member

Well, wow.... I don't even know what to say.... I'm totally at a loss....

We got home, we called our goat, many many times, momma was in a panic baaing for her kids desperately searching. We looked ALL AROUND THE PASTURE. In and around EVERYTHING... We were out at the normal time with a bottle of milk calling, she always came running. They ALWAYS were hanging around the shelter, its a simple shelter, no hiding places. We even searched the ROOF.

We were walking back to the pasture just to sit and cry over the disaster...

And we herd them bleeting... We walked back, and they WERE BOTH STANDING THERE WITH MOMMA LIKE NOTHING WAS WRONG!!!!!!! :whatgoat: :?

:stars: :clap: :leap: :dance: :party:

I guess they came back through the trans-warp wormhole they had walked into a parallel dimension??? WTF...

10. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Mommys stash their babies when they are out for a browse and go get them later. Sometimes I guess they wake from napping and wander off.......

You need to do some breathing exercises and it will all be fine.

I'm glad the babies are home.

11. I am glad that they are back!! :)

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I know it is scary but believe it or not you have a good doe. I am sure she just stashed them away while she was eating and either forgot where she put them or they wondered off. They hide good since you never found them LOL. I am glad it all worked out now you can have not peace and not worry about the others who will be kidding soon.

13. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry you had to go through that. I've had a couple of panic moments when I thought a kid was missing. They can literally vanish, even when you think there are no holes, cracks, bushes, etc. for them to go to.

14. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Whoohoo! Glad they got home safely from their obvious time traveling! :wink: :laugh: That might explain the hawks overhead... If mama goat stashed them, the hawks probably saw them hiding and were waiting. I'm happy for ya'! :thumb:

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i was gonna say there's no way a hawk could carry off a 3 week old goat, let alone a boer. the weight is just too great for a 4-7 pound bird

16. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    So glad all are safe........

I have a doe that I swear tells her kids "You guys go hide and I'll make a big stink and we can all laugh at mom when she freaks out!" we nicknamed her "stress test" :)

17. CrazyBear

CrazyBear New Member

Oh yea, momma was definitely putting on a show, running around and screaming at the top of her lungs for a few hours.

The bottle baby was so hungry, since she had missed a couple feedings by the time she showed up, that when she saw us, she came running. Climbed through the bars on the gate and followed us all the way back to the house and inside desperate for milk. Which we had to quickly make more of, because we were so upset we had thrown out the batch we had made.

18. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Glad all is well with the herd!

I just went and looked at your goat album. You have some very nice goats!

19. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so glad everything is fine!!! WHEW!!!! I was praying for their safe return!!! Looks like they hid really well! You said that the bottle baby followed you through the gate, is it the gate to the field they were all in? If so, I'd be looking to put some wire over that gate so they can't get through the bars, as they could have gotten out and wondered off.
    Otherwise, mama found a great hiding place for them! We had a doe that hid her kids really well, so well she couldn't find them and would break out in a panic! Brat used to scare me with worry!