The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I'm fairly new to goats (a year in). I have 2 adult nigerians, and just got a new doeling to add to the herd (from a clean CAE/CL/J tested closed herd), but have kept her separate from my other 2 because they have never been tested and I'm learning that's something I should have already done just as precaution and responsible goat ownership.
Test results just came back on the nigerians (Pan American Vet labs):
(both are healthy, no symptoms)
Mother (4 years old):
CAE: Borderline
CL: Borderline
Johnes: Borderline

Daughter (1 year old):
CAE: Negative
CL: Negative
Johnes: Borderline

I'm so confused. I was expecting just a "yes" or "no", but I've read the forums now and see that borderlines/suspect results are a thing and that I'll need to retest both of them in 30 days. The new doeling has been living on the porch in "quarantine" because we expected to be able to add her into the goat pen once the results came back clear. So I guess we now have a porch goat for at least another 30 days? And if the tests come back borderline again, then what? Cull them both even without a positive? We don't breed or show, these are just-for-fun pets that we're quite attached to.

Also, with the daughter having a negative for CAE, shouldn't that mean the mother is negative too? She has nursed for literally the whole year of her life.
And could they both really have Johnes? They are fat and happy.
Ugh. Don't know what to do now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,199 Posts
As long as the new doeling never ever nurses off either adult, she won't get CAE. As long as neither adult goat ever has an active abcess, the doeling won't contract CL. So really the last concern is Johnes.

The blood test for Johnes really kinda stinks but we do the best with what we have. Well actually, none of the blood tests are a complete answer as you are learning. But your 1 year old may not be giving true results yet even, especially for Johnes.

I would not cull either adult doe at this time if you don't plan to breed. And retest in 30 days with a second lab as you plan.

However, introducing a single young kid to an established adult "herd" is very very hard. They likely will not be super welcoming. It would really be best to get a friend closer to her age & size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
I agree about retesting with another lab. Unfortunately, Johne’s blood tests are the least accurate of the three. It can also give you a false positive if the goat has CL. The bacteria can cross react.

I always recommend running a fecal test for Johne’s in conjunction with a blood test to be certain. There is less than a 1 in 100 chance for a false-positive. However, the sensitivity is ridiculously low in subclinical animals with a 44% to 92% chance of a false-negative... which is honestly more dangerous by giving people a false sense of security. Johne’s fecal tests can at least tell you if the animal is actively shedding the organism. We have gone through Johnes.org, and those people are very friendly and knowledgeable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as the new doeling never ever nurses off either adult, she won't get CAE. As long as neither adult goat ever has an active abcess, the doeling won't contract CL. So really the last concern is Johnes.

The blood test for Johnes really kinda stinks but we do the best with what we have. Well actually, none of the blood tests are a complete answer as you are learning. But your 1 year old may not be giving true results yet even, especially for Johnes.

I would not cull either adult doe at this time if you don't plan to breed. And retest in 30 days with a second lab as you plan.

However, introducing a single young kid to an established adult "herd" is very very hard. They likely will not be super welcoming. It would really be best to get a friend closer to her age & size.
Thank you! That helps a lot. Yes, I plan to get her a friend to add in with her, but now I definitely don't want to get anybody new before we figure out these test results! One goat pooping all over the patio is enough for now.. I'll have to wait until I know they can safely go out in the pasture. *if* any of these results did end up positive (which I think I'm most worried about Johnes because that's the only one that they were both borderline on), would I have an issue with the soil in the pasture being contaminated for months/years, and affect the ability to house clean goats there in the future?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,654 Posts
Definitely get the fecal test for Johne's on your older doe (the yearling is not old enough to start shedding yet even if she were positive). A negative test on the doe should offer peace of mind that her offspring is not positive either. Fecal tests are quick these days and much more accurate than the blood tests. You'll have to follow your doe around at feeding time and try to catch some pellets as they fall (I had great luck earlier this year using a trash picker with a construction face mask fastened to it). Hopefully it's just a fluke.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,674 Posts
Hi all... I'm fairly new to goats (a year in). I have 2 adult nigerians, and just got a new doeling to add to the herd (from a clean CAE/CL/J tested closed herd), but have kept her separate from my other 2 because they have never been tested and I'm learning that's something I should have already done just as precaution and responsible goat ownership.
Test results just came back on the nigerians (Pan American Vet labs):
(both are healthy, no symptoms)
Mother (4 years old):
CAE: Borderline
CL: Borderline
Johnes: Borderline

Daughter (1 year old):
CAE: Negative
CL: Negative
Johnes: Borderline

I'm so confused. I was expecting just a "yes" or "no", but I've read the forums now and see that borderlines/suspect results are a thing and that I'll need to retest both of them in 30 days. The new doeling has been living on the porch in "quarantine" because we expected to be able to add her into the goat pen once the results came back clear. So I guess we now have a porch goat for at least another 30 days? And if the tests come back borderline again, then what? Cull them both even without a positive? We don't breed or show, these are just-for-fun pets that we're quite attached to.

Also, with the daughter having a negative for CAE, shouldn't that mean the mother is negative too? She has nursed for literally the whole year of her life.
And could they both really have Johnes? They are fat and happy.
Ugh. Don't know what to do now!
The stress of the new enviornment can cause wonky test results. My doe tested border for johnes but she was bred. She nor the herd she came from have ever tested pos for anything. Nothing here has ever tested pos for it either. We even test the cows.

One of my bucks... we had lock him up for the day because he is hard to catch. He was border for cl. And they have always been neg.

So yep restest in a month with a different lab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely get the fecal test for Johne's on your older doe (the yearling is not old enough to start shedding yet even if she were positive). A negative test on the doe should offer peace of mind that her offspring is not positive either. Fecal tests are quick these days and much more accurate than the blood tests. You'll have to follow your doe around at feeding time and try to catch some pellets as they fall (I had great luck earlier this year using a trash picker with a construction face mask fastened to it). Hopefully it's just a fluke.
I just looked up the Johnes (MAP) fecal with WADDL... $77.. yikes. Is that right? Where do you send your fecals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,654 Posts
I had mine done through Colorado State University. It was $30 and the results came back about a week after they received my sample. My suggestion is to call your Texas university labs first. Lab work is often cheaper for state residents.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top