BoSe dosage??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by myfainters, Mar 4, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    My doe Mimzi (due March 18th) suddenly went WAAAY down on her pasterns this last month... I'm assuming this is a Selenium deficiency? She has access to Selenium salt and Sweetlix loose minerals.... but I don't see her eating it much. What would the dosage be for BoSe? Does it look like that is what it is?
    Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I know this one...my vet's instructions on my bottle of bo-se are "Dose 3ml/100lbs, SQ no more then every 6 mos. Dose very small kids 1/4 ml SQ." I don't know if that is the problem with your doe...but...I've used it here with great results. She did tell me to remove other souces of selenium, though. She wasn't too worried about what was in the feed.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have been told 1cc per 40lbs

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
  5. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Dumb question alert! :doh:

What does looking way down on her pasterns mean?

6. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I am assuming that the pasterns is some physical part of the body that you are noticing, but I have no idea.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    The pastern is right above the hoof. :)

8. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    So what do you mean when you say down on her pasterns?

9. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I got a question to if you dose with bose, you have to take their minerals away cause it has that in it to.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nope - don't have to take the minerals away :)

The bose injection is best because it is a slow release in the body compared to a fast "spurt" of the Selenium that they get from the gel.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    standing down on their pasterns instead of up on their hooves.

its like they are leaning in a way. Makes them walk funny

12. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Ok, gotcha. Thanks Stacey.

13. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Is this similar?
    My togg wether (back legs only) did this for about a week last year. We do hooves often so I thought it might be a mineral deficiency. At the time I could only get a SweetLix goat block. He has had the SweetLix Meatmaker (loose) for a long time now and he hasn't done it since. :scratch:
    I just gave my two does 1cc/40lb. The gall at the vet wrote on the bottle 1 cc/100lb but that didn't make since because the doctor left me a voice message earlier that day saying 1cc/40lb. I got online and sure enough...1cc/40lb. :GAAH:
    Funny thing is...I was really hopeing for some good information because they just charged me $100.00 for 10mg of it!

Attached Files:

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    YIKES!!! Order it from Vetserv-usa.com You have to register and their shipping fees are INSANE.... but you can order all the RX drugs without a prescription.... so it makes it worth it if you get a lot of meds at once. I just got my bottle of BoSe 100ml for a little over $20 plus shipping.

15. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Thanks Jess!
    Sorry it took me a long time to figure out how to put a photo on. This is still very new to me. :) I thought something was wierd. The vet on the message said she didn't know how much it would be for 10 mg but thought it would be cheap. Then I went in to pick it up, the doc. was on a farm call and the other gall said it would be $100.00. I showed her the inside of the bottom of my teeth for about 5 seconds! There went that role of fencing I was going to buy with that check!

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, that looks very similar to my doe... she didn't look like that 2 months ago but she dropped down pretty suddenly... I'm hoping the BoSe helps her! I also think I've been trimming her hooves wrong though .... so I will be correcting that (hopefully) as well. :)

17. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    So having a seleinum deficiency can ALSO make them go down on their pasterns??????????

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct - selenium plays a big role in their over all strength of structure basically.

its good to have a mineral with selenium in it available to the goats 24/7 (loose mineral not a block)