BOSE Substitution---*Pictures Added*7/5

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Rogersfarm, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We just had a kid and its front legs dont seem to be quiet right.Difficult birth. Is there anything we can give if we dont have BOSE? Are their any subs and where do we get it?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: BOSE Substitution

I don't know of any other way..... :chin: can you get a hold of a vet...and get some? Or do you know of a breeder close by ...that may have some ...if you have the smaller breed...it's like 1/4cc or less depending on the kid size... It is the best way I know... and the best stuff ....to give to a newborn.... :hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

Mu-Se is equivalent i think.
    I'd get a hold of Bo-Se though.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Yes it is...but.. don't know.. if you can get it over the counter... :chin:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

it is an RX also.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:thumbup:

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I am not sure about this, but I think Mu-se is much more potent, and the dose you give of Bo-se in the same amount would kill. Please be sure and check before using Mu-se. I think there was a discussion about this on the goatbiology list not long ago.

Jan

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Since it is a holiday, you can go to the store, get selenium tabs and also vit B capsules. Crush up the selenium pill and mix with a little water and get it down the baby - then poke a hole in the vit e and squirt in the little ones mouth. That will help. You can also call some local goat people and see if they have BoSe or selenium / vit B gel from jeffers

9. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

We had some just start paste like a probiotic that had selenium yeast in it. My husband gave it earlier because we didnt have BOSE or selenium gel. Does anyone know if that will help? Also gave nutri-drench at that same time.

We feed a health amount of BOSS in our feed ration, so we are not sure what the cause of this would be. Except for maybe the position of the kid in eutero. It was a twin in a first freshioner that didnt get very wide, so space was tight. When it delivered, it came head only first. Both front legs were folded back underneath it. My husband had to go in and get the legs unfolded one at a time. Luckily it was the smaller doeling that delivered first. The larger buckling that came second wouldnt have allowed for enough space to unfold the legs if he had delivered that way.

My next question is going to be splits or no splints on the legs. Both front legs have issues. One leg is severely "down in the pasterns" and the other leg is bowed in at the "shin" area. I have seen both opinions, but not sure which way I should go. Can anyone argue for one way or the other? Pros/cons?

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

The boss is going to help with coat - but nothing if the little one has white muscle disease.

If it is white muscle it needs the selenium and vit E - the Vit e will help the body to absorb the selenium and needs it within 24 hours of birth to help. Personally, I don't splint. I prefer to watch and let those muscles strengthen - but that is me..... hope you are able to get the little one taken care of.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

sounds more like contracted tendons then a white muscle disease (selenium deficiency).

12. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

So for my kidding kit, should i try to get the BOSE or can i just get the selenium/vit E paste from Jeffers?

Also, do you just give it to every kid, or only those in trouble?

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I personally like the BoSe injectable and I give it to every kid born along with the dams 2 weeks before kidding and a month before breeding - but I live in a SEVERELY selenium deficient area.

14. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

So here are pics of the kids 24hrs old. The little doe's legs are pretty crooked and her mouth seems a little crooked too.Her coloring does throw you off a little on her face but i think it's a still is droopy on one side. Both are eating well but are a little bit strange the buckling just kinda stands around and doesn't make alot of noise and the doe just is weak. Minnie the momma doesn't seem real thrilled about the doe.She doesn't ignore her but does seem to show fav. towards the buck.He is more active and does get around better so that just may be the case because she is feeding both well.It was a very difficult birth and I am lost as to what to think about the babies?

Buckling:
    [​IMG]
    Doe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm.... I don't think BoSe will correct her leg, she was either really packed in there making her leg grow in that odd way or it's a deformity of the knee joint. I don't see the crooked mouth...is it the way she's holding her head? Can she straighten her head or is it "bent" to the left?

Both are very flashy babies, congrats!

16. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I think she can straighten her head but her mouth seems to be a little to the left .My husband said that he can fully straighten the leg and doesn't feel anything broken. She was VERY packed in there and came head first and the sac busted so her head was hanging out and we cleaned off the head so that she could breath and my husband had to reach in and get her legs untangled to come out.They were up underneath her .But her legs were tangled in her mom so I guess they grew that way? The buck came next and came out ok.

17. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think BoSe will help with the legs though it might be good if you coud ask your vet to order some for you. You may want to have a vet take a look at her if she's worth it. Otherwise If the leg straightens out ok, I would probably splint that so it doesn't stay like that for long. I agree with the other post that she was likely cramped in there and the leg grew a little weird. She may always have a somewhat "off" leg.

18. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Personally I would consult a vet at this point - maybe they could cast the leg in the correct way?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It isn't a bad idea... for a vet to take a look.... just in case... :wink:

I think... with splinting the legs ...while she is young...and within the 1st week of life... should straightened her out...giving a little Bo-se does help some.......
    your DH said... he can straightened them out with no problem....it is most likely from being cramped...and her tendons are very weak..and stretched.... but please... consult a vet...while she is still young... :hug: ....

20. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We actually checked on her this evening and her legs are looking better.The doe's little legs look like they might be straightening up on their own.I would say that in the next few days if it improves the way it has in the last 48 hrs. then she should be normal soon:)