The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't yet given our girls any specific selenium supplement firstly because our vet didn't recommend it (even though the area is low in selenium) and secondly because I didn't know about it.

I've heard mention to BoSe, but it looks like that is by vet rx only. Our large animal vet retired and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for selenium supplements for pre-breeding and maintenance, that does not require an rx. What do you recommend? And how often?

PS- Our goats are healthy looking and don't appear to have any deficiencies. I'm just trying to be proactive in their maintenance.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
durvet Selenium & Vitamin E gel. Dosage is 4 ml once every 30 days. Available at most farm supply stores. Also, adding an Selenium block for them to lick on as well.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Replamin plus is high in selenium.
LOH Herbamins offers food based source

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Well first you need a good loose mineral blend, I expect you already have one, but if not, please mention that.

Second, a salt block with selenium as @NigerianNewbie said is good.

However, these two are for maintenance. If you already have a deficiency, you will need further supplementation.

For correcting a deficiency, I really recommend Replamin over selenium vitamin e gel.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I use the Duravet Selenium/E gel or Replamin. We also give them Redmond Selenium 90 salt. I've never had to use BoSe and haven't had any issues with selenium that the above didn't fix. I like the gels mostly because there is more room for error vs the BoSe.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Thanks everyone! Getting the gel and the block later today =) I don't think they are already deficient... I haven't done a blood test, but they look really healthy.
Do their tails ever slant down, or seem floppy and bent, or have a crick right near the tip or even higher near the middle?

Tail pics would help determine this.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
A mention of your chosen mineral mix would be helpful, and a picture(s) of the tails, too.
Thanks.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts