The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what BoSe is and what it is used for?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Bo-Se is an injectable selenium and Vite. E supplement.. Most places are Selenium deficient so Bo-Se is given to make sure the goat doesn't become deficient :)
hope I explained that well enough lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Yes, but I think you can get it from Vetserve too...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! How would a person know if they need to give it?

·
8,163 Posts
You can get BoSe from Tractor Supply
Is it the oral form or the injectable. I believe the injectable is prescription only, because Selenium overdose can be serious.
Our lousy TS sure doesn't sell anything but Vit. B complex and some Penicillin!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
It is the injectable ..
Injectable BoSe is a vet RX so TSC can't sell it... Unless they have RX drugs and you still need the RX from the vet.. Like Jeffers and Valley Vet do.. Otherwise unless you buy it from Vesreve you NEED a RX from the vet...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I've heard of giving it to does right before breeding. Is this necessary or... Caleb, Liptrap Livestock
We do it a month before breeding and a month before kidding.. That way the kids get it, and the does are good on it too :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
BoSe is for Selenium deficiencies why would it be a RX drug?
I believe the injectable is prescription only, because Selenium overdose can be serious.
That could be one reasons... Some things are just RX... :shrug:

If you google Vetsreve you can get RX drugs without a RX ;)

·
14,760 Posts
I've heard that Bo-Se can be Rx just because it's easy to dose it incorrectly and cause harm to your animals.
We just started using it last breeding/kidding season.

Best thing to do is contact a good reputable breeder in your area and see if they use it, what their dosage is, etc. then possibly call 1 more breeder and compare.
Not every area will be the same. So what works for one member in XX state, may not work in your area.

In fact, I am going to message a breeder who isn't too far away and ask her what she doses/how often/etc. as she is very knowledgeable about this stuff and we're getting to that time of year where we need to start giving it.

A really good alternative is Selenium E Gel for goats from Jeffers.com. I love using that stuff. It's given orally, safer, and has worked well for us in the past. Inexpensive too.
We give Bo-Se to the mom's at 4 weeks before their due date, then after they kid - when the kid has stood and nursed we give the kid some and let mom have a little bit. Then when the kid is 4 weeks old we give them a Bo-Se shot.
That worked great this year.

When we first started breeding goats we had a couple of babies who struggled with selenium deficiency. I never want to go through that again as it's hard on them.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
BoSe is normally Rx only, as you can easily overdose them, and it is against the law to over the FDA's limit.

I normally give them a shot one month prior to kidding, and give the bucks a shot after they've bred all the does.
It is normally given one month before kidding so the kids will absorb the selenium and vitamin e before they are born. Or it is given both one month before breeding and one month before kidding. Most kids that are born with weak pasturns, and legs are selenium deficient. Selenium deficiency is called White Muscle Disease.
Its easier to prevent deficiency than it is to treat it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just ordered the salenium E gel. Would that still only be used a month before kidding? Their already bred (one week ago)

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
The gel is meant to be used once a month year round. If that worries you, I would do 2 weeks before breeding, halfway through pregnancy, and just before kidding. The first year I added Selenium/vitamin E, I was amazed at the difference in the health of the kids.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts