BOSS

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi everyone!

Dumb question number 693 - I've seen folks say to feed BOSS - which, I've finally figured out is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - so actually this question has 3 parts:

1) (here's the stupid part) - shelled? or unshelled?
    2) do you add it to their grain? free choice? just a treat? how much?
    3) why??? what are the benefits?

Thanks in advance!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I add it to their grain/pellet rations.

It helps with milk production and also with nice shiny coats.

I give shelled (didn't know they had unshelled)

I feed about 1/2 cup twice a day in their feed (but I only grain out milkers and mommas that are about to kid - say within the week or so - and after kidding for a couple days) Other then that it is a treat to the others once in a while.

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Also, curious about beet pulp - since I'm staring down the barrel of winter here - I want to make sure my boys (4 wethers) keep growing and keep warm.

I have a sweet grain that I feed a little but these guys are wethers so don't want urinary calculi....

Thanks!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    when winter hits (haha) dont clean their pen, it helps keep them warm, also i nail gunny sacks over their door t keep the wind out.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I don't neccesarily give beetpulp to my goats but I do the horses. Now I just had a breeder from here tell me to soak it and give it to them to help with milk production. But I bet it would help to keep weight on and growth. That is what I do it for with my horses through winter!

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I second the beet pulp. In the winter I give it to the horses, maybe even the goats this year. I like to give it to them soak, adds a little more water to their diet.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Not only that rebel, but beet pulp swells real bad when it sits in liquid - imagine what that could do to a goatie or horse, given dry and then it hits fluid in their rumen!!

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is actually an Old Farmer's tale. :) It won't hurt them to feed it to them dry. Got it right from the vets mouth, and several other reliable sources. :)

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    rebel,

I personally have seen goats bloat from it and know a person who lost a horse from it. I would prefer to be safe then sorry. But that is my thoughts. I have taken a container of beetpulp, added warm water, let it sit for 30 minutes and it is over triple the amount that I started with.

If you are only feeding a small handful, I don't see where not soaking would cause much of a problem. But for the minis, they have small rumens anyway , and feeding more than a handful - and would prefer to soak and save the heartache later.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well as you could see from my post, I soak it too. Water is so important in the winter and sometime it is hard to get an animal to drink enough. So I always soak mine for that reason. Most people I know do soak it too.

Sorry to hear about the horse and goat. I hope they were all right. I all know is the research I have read, and what my vets have told me.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, I give beet pulp dry. Haven't had an issue yet. I give the pellets with no molasses added. Some of the goats love it and others hate it. I don't feed a ton of it so there really isn't an issue with it swelling too much in their tummy.

12. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    ArcticGoats asked:
    1) I give mine shelled, I mix it directly into their feed/grain that they get while I'm milking. That's what the experienced goat people around here do and I took their advice. I thought about shelling each seed, but I figured that would take hundreds of hours getting the shells off each little seed.... gave up that thought! :ROFL:

2) See #1 above. I also, very occasionally give some to my Nigerians as a treat.

3) I've been told that BOSS helps with milk fat. I haven't been doing this long enough to know if it really does add milk fat to their milk.

Around here horse owners are always told to soak beet pulp for a few hours or overnight before giving it as there is a real concern about how much it expands when moistened. Thus, I would absolutely not give it to any of my animals before soaking. I'm glad those who've fed it dry have had no problems, hope that continues for them. It's just not worth the risk for me personally.

13. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i mix 25# of BOSS with 150# of grain right in my feed bin so when i scoop it into a bucket it is already there
    didn't know you could buy it shelled
    coat and milk fat

i use an herbal wormer that is a powder
    i soak my beet pulp then mix it with the wormer (1x per week)
    then mix all that with the grain for the day

14. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is such a good idea! It is so hard to get that stuff in my goats!! Thanks!!

15. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks a ton for all the info!! Well, my wethers shouldn't be producing milk anytime soon (lol) but I think beet pulp would be a good idea to bulk them up a little. And BOSS sounds good to get a nice shiny coat!

HeavenlyH - which herbal wormer do you use? Now that we have snow on the ground (yes, first snow last night, about 1/2 inch this morning) and my guys are going to be basically dry lot for the rest of the winter, I'm thinking worms aren't going to be much of a problem - BUT - for future reference...

:snow:

16. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    1) (here's the stupid part) - shelled? or unshelled? Shelled

2) do you add it to their grain? free choice? just a treat? how much? I add it to their grain

3) why??? what are the benefits? It's a natural source of selenium, helps to maintain and/or add weight, plus makes a really nice luxurious coat :shades:

As for beet pulp ~ Beet pulp is really good for adding weight. I used it before for a rescued (stick thin) thoroughbred horse. I did soak mine. Mainly because it's fairly dusty when given dry and can be inhaled up the nostrils. Soaking it keeps the dust down. I also have noticed a big difference in expansion once it's soaked in water. I'm not making any statements about the debate of it bloating goat/s horses, etc. ... I'm just saying that I have noticed that it does swell a good bit once it's mixed with water/liquid.

17. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Wow now I know what B.O.S.S. Is rofl :shocked:

18. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - took me an embarassingly long time to figure out COB too (corn oats barley - i think :idea: )

19. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I put BOSS in the grain. I have fed it to the goats and horses.
    I also have fed Shredded beet pulp to the goats and horses. I never soak the shredded kind. Takes too long and its too messy. Since the price went up I dont even feed it any more but one winter my horse got 3-4 scoops of beet pulp morning and night plus his regular grain because the hay wasn't really good. I never once soaked it and he's still alive and well. :greengrin:

20. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks! My goaties like the BOSS, so far they don't think much of the beet pulp but i've only tried it wet - i think they might like it mixed with grain or maybe at least warm wet. will try a bit more (my guys are pretty finicky!). Thanks for all the help!