BOSS

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 6, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I am considering adding BOSS to my goats grain because we are in a selenium deficient area. But I want to be sure this is the right move... :whatgoat:

I have read lots of posts on her courtesy our wonderful SEARCH option :type:

But I'd like to learn more, any insight?

Why do you feed BOSS, why don't you? What are the benefits? What are the risks?

Thanks so much guys!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I feed BOSS because its good for their coat and skin

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep what Stacey said, plus they love them.

The reason I don't do it sometimes, is it gets really expensive.

At shows when the kids come and see the goats, I always let them feed the goats, and I use BOSS, to do it. The goats love it and the kids, well it is priceless.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    BOSS is a great source of healthy fats and protein which helps with milk production. Like the others mentioned, it is also good for goat's skin and coat. The selenium is just an added bonus...I would not rely on BOSS alone for selenium requirements but it can aid in preventing deficiencies.

There are not many negatives that I know of except that it can make goats fat if they're fed too much of it...and I would be cautious about feeding large quantities to bucks and wethers because I think it is rather high in phosphorus (which can contribute to urinary calculi).

5. pennylullabelle

Thanks everyone. I got a back today and added just a pinch into everyone's grain. Some of them were NOT happy lol. But Penny and Lulla acted like nothing had changed, as well as the boys. Porsche, Athena, and oddly enough Isis - who was on BOSS at her last home - all refused to finish their grain! They'll adjust soon enough though.

I also took some marshmallows out to see who would eat them and figure out if it was feasible for copper...some liked em, some did not. Ever heard of anything else working for giving copper rods?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tried the marshmallow thing --- I had to feed like 6 marshmallows to get down 1cc of copper (which was the amount needed for my doe Angie) so no I dotn think its the best method though it may work if thats all you have

7. pennylullabelle

Well, what I am thinking is there cannot be THAT much difference between using marshmallows and some other sticky food. If the rods in-bed in the stomach from using marshmallows...they should from other foods. I have a bolus gun and can go that route. My goats are all just butthurt and weary of the stand because I decided to get everything done in one shot so everyone got 2 vaccines, selenium, worming, and hoofs trimmed. No one wants to get up there for me right now :shrug: :ROFL:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no the idea is the same (as long as they dont chew the marshmallow) but I found that to administer enough copper it required me to make up 6 or more marshmallow capsules and it was tedious and not very enjoyable to do.

So use a bigger marshmallow I guess

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have rolled up vitamins in small pieces of bread or hotdog buns...my goats do not chew small hunks(about the size of my thumb) of bread at all. This might work for the copper rods as well.

10. pennylullabelle

FRF - I'll try that! Thanks

Stacey - I got the small ones. And having to dish it out, 6 per goat, times 8...does not sound like fun.