The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two nigerian dwarf does. One is pregnant and due in about a week or so. The other doe is from a herd in which she was picked on by the others, but since I have gotten the preg. one, doe no. 2 has started butting preg. away from food, etc... This is NOT her usual behavior, in fact, both does are rather skittish around me, never letting me pet them, but always shying away! I don't want momma to be hurt and I would like to be able to touch them especially when it comes to trimming, etc... Tips, Opinions, Anything would really be appreciated!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
2 feeders would help with the fighting. If its safe (meaning no trees or obvious snag points), put a 6-8 foot slip rope on them. A slip rope is a rope that is much less likely to get caught on things. Its long enough so you can walk up near them and step on it and grab it. They will freak out if they are wild the first few times. It helps if you have a treat (grain) ready either in a lip pan or in your pocket. This way when you have pulled them close to you enough to grab their collar, and after they have calmed down, you can feed them some grain and start to pet/scratch them. Depending upon how wild they are, you could be looking at a long time to tame them down. The babies should help. If you can be there helping when they kid, the often times associate you with the babies.

Another method is to just simply find a place in the pen and sit/lay down and let them come to you. They will be sniffing and tasting you first off. So scratches on the cheeks and chin are good starting points. If you allow them to dictate the contact, they will begin to trust you. Grain also helps with this but in either situation you are trying more to teach them that you are part of the herd and ok to be around more so then you give treats. If they only see you as the person that gives them treats, then once the treat is gone, so are they.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I guess I was trying to use the treats as my ticket in. They do each have their own bowl, but they seem to have a thing with switching buckets!--Why do thy do that? It is the same sweet feed and the same amount in each one. Today when I brought the feed, all the goats came running to me and I got close enough to touch the preg. one, but did not, for fear that she would bolt. I have heard i helps to just go sit out in the pasture and ignore them so I did this & at first they were interested, but then they ignored me!

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with a Mini Mancha buck. It doesn't help that he's also in rut right now, but I'm still going out and just sitting in his pen. He's finally coming up and eating out of my hand and I can reeeeeeeach out a finger and scratch his chin. If he sees my hand move, he bolts. We've put him on a aerial runner so I can get my hands on him if I need to. Decided to do that after two hours of chasing him in the dark when he got out and headed to visit the ladies. lol

We just have to keep trying until we get through I suppose. I was told he was a very sweet boy when he was sold to the first owner. I can't imagine what has happened that made him so skittish before he came to me.

Any hoo... just sharing you're not the only one. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks! I really know the feeling! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a pygmy doe last year who was very skiddish would not come within 15 feet of me but now she is all over me when feeding time and let's me touch her anytime not near as loving as my others but I will take it. I have found mine love animal crackers so I try and fill my pocket full before I go out. Just being around will help it will just take time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts